Comfortable Noise Cancelling Headphones

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Hi all. I have a good breadth of understanding when it comes to audio products including earbuds, but headphones aren't something I have familiarity with. Looking for some wireless headphones with noise cancellation to use with my iPhone; comfort is the top priority with SQ following. Already tried some lower cost headphones like Ankers and SoundPeats and although they're alright, I would like something more comfortable if possible. Am I really looking at Bose for comfort? I never liked their products, but lack experience with their headphones so perhaps they get those right? I do prefer a slightly darker sound profile overall and from what I read, Bose are more neutral which I can live with if they're the top choice in regards to comfort. Thoughts? Budget around $300 if possible.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Looking through the reviews, it looks like Sennheiser Momentum 3 may be an option given its sound profile, but not sure about the comfort.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Don't know about the Momentum 3 but Momentum 2 were pretty nice for comfort.

I would look for Sony WH-1000XM3 as they are good for sound quality, comfort and noise cancelling.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Don't know about the Momentum 3 but Momentum 2 were pretty nice for comfort.

I would look for Sony WH-1000XM3 as they are good for sound quality, comfort and noise cancelling.
Thanks. I hear a lot about the Sony, but the sound profile doesn't appear to fit my preference for headphones. I may still give them a shot as can always return them.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I received these as gift several years ago ( Bose Quietcomfort 35 Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Wireless Headphones Ii - Black : Target ) and they are very good for what they are. Comfortable, good noise cancelling. I use them when I fly. They really do cancel the roar of the airplane engines pretty well. And music sounds good. I know Bose gets a bad rap, and I would never buy Bose for anything home audio related, but I do really enjoy these when I use them. Great battery life as well.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I lost my Momentum 2s on an airplane or hotel, had to buy the Momentum 3. Besides the lack of an on/off switch, which is incredibly annoying, they are very comfortable over the ear headphones. They can be had for 240 on amazon right now, so easy to return if you are not happy.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I''m trying out the PXC-550ii as they're quite a bit lighter than the Momentum 3. The PXC-550ii's are comfortable and have a neutral sound signature; a hair polite for my taste, but excellent overall. The Sony WH-1000XM4 arrives today so will get a chance to compare with the market leader.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I have the Bose Quiet Comfort 2s and the Sony WH-1000XM4. I too use the Bose for flying (the original driver to purchase) but also in the house when puttering about rockin' away, typically on Spotify. The Sony WH-1000XM4 were a Christmas Gift as I was looking for them so I could use them outside when the weather is warm, and I'm cutting the lawn again. I like them both but sticking buds in your ears does take some getting used to, but over the ear (like the Bose) can get uncomfortable in warm weather. (Sweaty!)

The Bass from the Sony WH-1000XM4 is impressive but the Bose wins there. The N/C is good for both. I use them primarily with my iPhone for portability, although I have pair them with our new TV and Laptop; just to try them out. Of all the Audio products out there, I think headphones is one of the most personal, and hard for others to direct someone to purchase. You really need to try them out with the source material you'll use most.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks. Over the past few days, I have been testing out the Sennheiser PXC-550ii and Sony WH-1000M4. Posted impressions in the link below in case someone else faces a similar decision.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I have never owned noise cancelling phones but I have owned a lot of regular ones. My favorite is a pair of open back planar magnetic phones from HiFiMan. I bought them about 10 years ago. They aren't available any longer but I certainly recommend the brand. They may have some noise cancelling models. They perform really really well. Check them out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis