Comcast HD, HD TV, and DirectTV..what to do???

M

malakajoe

Audiophyte
I just got a new HD tv. I am now looking to get Comcast HD box and service. I also have a ReplayTV that only has s-video, coax, or composite input (but has component output).

I guess I can't use DVI, because then my ReplayTV wouldn't work (which I know won't probably work on the HD channels anyways, but will on everything else). So should I get a good s-video cable from the HD box to the ReplayTV and then component to the tv? Etc..etc..

Also, any recommendations on what cables to get?

Thanks.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Simplify things by getting an HD DVR/TiVo from your cable/Sat provider.

M

Mega2000

Audioholic
i have comcast and they are about to get HD DVR's in my area. Replay doesnt work with Comcast (at least for recording programs in advance) and even if it did it wouldn't record the HD programs.

I also heard/read that VOOM is making an integrated HD PVR (very TiVo like)

the Comcast HD PVR is supposed to be the same but I havent seen it yet.

You can use the Replay TV just like a VCR. It will just downgrade the HD video, kinda like recording in SLP mode on a VCR

also... the Comcast cable box has a DVI out but it is not enabled. You will need to use component.

M

machineman

Audiophyte
I have Direct TV with HD and the Samsung box has all the outputs a good HT junkie could want DVI, component, S video and DVI is enabled.

M

MBauer

Audioholic
malakajoe said:
I just got a new HD tv. I am now looking to get Comcast HD box and service. I also have a ReplayTV that only has s-video, coax, or composite input (but has component output).

I guess I can't use DVI, because then my ReplayTV wouldn't work (which I know won't probably work on the HD channels anyways, but will on everything else). So should I get a good s-video cable from the HD box to the ReplayTV and then component to the tv? Etc..etc..

Also, any recommendations on what cables to get?

Thanks.
I have HD OTA, Comcast with HD DVR and DirectV with a modified Tivo. I signed up with Comcast as an experiment since they had a 4 month special here in Michigan, I really wanted to stick with my dish, but my thought was to sign up with Cable to get HD content quickly after I purchased a new Sony RPTV (60S955) and looking at the cost of HD with my dish and the relative paucity of current HD content. I figured I could take advantage of the 4 month comcast special and see where the market went with HD satellite (Voom, Dish, DirecTV)

Results so far have me thinking to keep cable and mimimize or eliminate DirecTV, of which I have been a subscriber to since the early 90's when I lived in Texas. SD content looks as good on the cable as the dish (which really surprised me), I get more HD content and the PQ is very good, I can't tell the difference between the OTA broadcasts and the cable broadcasts and while the Comcast DVR is not as intuitive in operation as the Tivo, it looks great and it has a reasonable recording capacity.

As to connections I use the component output for video and the toslink for digital audio. Also, HDMI from my DVD player

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
The above post is excellent and coresponds to my recent experiences with cable.

I have used and seen both DirecTV and cable and the cable with DVR is of at least the same quality as DirecTV. The cost for DVR service is 10 bucks a month from Comcast and Cox as well as others - depends on your market.

But, the big deal is that you are not BUYING the equipment in these volatile A/V times where new technology is replacing old every few years. So, as new technology comes along you can call your cable company and start pestering them for it. They may be a little slow, but you will often get the latest and greatest for your same 10 bucks a month.

Oh: Your Replay TV is NOT HD compatible! You can use it to record shows I imagine, but do not use it for general viewing of content as the lack of HD inputs on the box completely destroy the quality of your viewing and take it back to standard definition TV. Or, about 1/4 the quality of what your cable box puts out.

I was thinking of getting a DVD recorder recently... But, at about $300.00+ for one with integrated hard drive, I realized that I could simply rent a cable box with DVR for 10 bucks extra a month and it would take about two and a half years before I would have had that DVD-R paid for... plus the DVD-R wouldn't have handled my HD recordings which are about all I ever record these days.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis