College Football Playoffs

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
January 1st first round Cincinnati vs Alabama and Georgia vs Michigan. I know it probably won't happen but I'm pulling for Cincinnati. I think it's great that a smaller school finally gets a shot at the national title. :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm coming off of not following football – college or pro – for years.

The effect big TV money had on college football was a real turn-off. And because I went to college at the U of North Carolina, a big basketball school with a typically poor football team, I found it easy to be indifferent. The big fix, aka the Bowl Championship Series, was the nail in the coffin for my opinion on how low college football had fallen.

In pro football, I had once been a fan of the Washington R*dsk*ns back in the 70s to 90s, before that team was owned by the devil himself, Dangerous Dan Snyder. Once he ruined that team, turning it into the Washington Deadskins, and lost it's loyal & huge fan base in Washington, it was easy to ignore the NFL too. The obvious influence of gambling on the NFL hasn't helped.

In 2005, my kid brother took me to a football game at the U of Michigan, where he had gone to school. He claimed I'd never properly experienced college football, and only a Big 10 game at the Big House in Ann Arbor, MI could change that. It really did. The game, against an undefeated Penn State, was decided by a last play touchdown. Michigan won 27-25. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before.

Since then, I've been an adopted Michigan fan, and suffered through some hard years. Until the other week when Michigan finally thrashed their hated rival Ohio State. They did the same against Iowa the other day. Now they face Georgia in the college playoffs. I'll be pulling for Michigan. (The game, two weekends ago, where Michigan beat Ohio State was the first football game I had watched from start to finish in many years.)

I'll also pull for Cincinnati as a worthy underdog against Alabama. But other than Michigan, I don't really care who wins.

Last edited:
Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief

The effect big TV money had on college football was a real turn-off. And because I went to college at the U of North Carolina, a big basketball school with a typically poor football team, I found it easy to be indifferent. The big fix, aka the Bowl Championship Series, was the nail in the coffin for my opinion on how low college football had fallen.

In pro football, I had once been a fan of the Washington R*dsk*ns back in the 70s to 90s, before that team was owned by the devil himself, Dangerous Dan Snyder. Once he ruined that team, turning it into the Washington Deadskins, and lost it's loyal & huge fan base in Washington, it was easy to ignore the NFL too. The obvious influence of gamboling on the NFL hasn't helped.

In 2005, my kid brother took me to a football game at the U of Michigan, where he had gone to school. He claimed I'd never properly experienced college football, and only a Big 10 game at the Big House in Ann Arbor, MI could change that. It really did. The game, against an undefeated Penn State, was decided by a last play touchdown. Michigan won 27-25. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before.

Since then, I've been an adopted Michigan fan, and suffered through some hard years. Until the other week when Michigan finally thrashed their hated rival Ohio State. They did the same against Iowa the other day. Now they face Georgia in the college playoffs. I'll be pulling for Michigan. (The game, two weekends ago, where Michigan beat Ohio State was the first football game I had watched from start to finish in many years.)

I'll also pull for Cincinnati as a worthy underdog against Alabama. But other than Michigan, I don't really care who wins.
I’m there little brother and it was a pleasure to take big Swerd to my old campus and see a proper game. Sure I’d love Cincinnati to pull the miracle off and play Michigan in the final.
Like Swerd I gave up on the the pro team I know refer to as the Washington Team of Football (WTF). But what most annoys me is the folks who act like the SEC lords it over all college football. Fine they are better but most of them play in the minimum number of NCAA sports 14? so they can funnel more money to football. None of them are consistently good at any other sport except Kentucky who doesn’t have a good football program.
Most big 10 schools (and the PAC 12 too) offer many more sports and are good at a lot of them. I’ll cite Michigan since I am most familiar with it. Mens basketball finals appearances in every decade but one since the sixties. More mens hockey championships than any other school. Good baseball for a northern school and two years ago a trip to the finals of the college World Series. Top flight swim teams, Michael Phelps went there, 11 olympians at the last Olympics and sixth all time for US colleges ( the top five are all in California plus Texas. Etc etc. Further none of the SEC schools except Vanderbilt are academically in the same league as the the Big10 or PAC 12. Texas joining the SEC will raise the average quite a bit. So yeah I’m sick of the SEC. Thank you for enduring my rant.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Ok Cincinnati vs Michigan for the championship. I'm down with that no SEC team in the title game. One can only hope. :)

AlexArnolds

AlexArnolds

Audiophyte
The effect big TV money had on college football was a real turn-off. And because I went to college at the U of North Carolina, a big basketball school with a typically poor football team, I found it easy to be indifferent. This was the college of my dream, and I put a lot of effort into getting there. I was really worried that I won't be accepted, and I even used the help of https://edubirdie.com/college-application-essay-writing to provide a perfect application essay and improve my chances. And it was quite sad to realize that such a college, which offers quality education, has such a poor situation with the sport. The big fix, aka the Bowl Championship Series, was the nail in the coffin for my opinion on how low college football had fallen.

In pro football, I had once been a fan of the Washington R*dsk*ns back in the 70s to 90s, before that team was owned by the devil himself, Dangerous Dan Snyder. Once he ruined that team, turning it into the Washington Deadskins, and lost it's loyal & huge fan base in Washington, it was easy to ignore the NFL too. The obvious influence of gambling on the NFL hasn't helped.

Yes, I agree with you that money has a huge impact on sport, iclududing university sports. I have a few friends who used to play or still plays in ther college sport teams, and have a huge passion to achive something, but unfortunately it's not always possible due to different factors, including the money factor

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Once again, all SEC Georgia over Alabama. Maybe the SEC championship should be for the National title. :(

E

Efins1972

Audiophyte
It's hard to find the best literature review writing service especially if you want it to be done at a literature review writing service high level. This leads to low-quality content and plagiarism, which leads to serious problems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis