D

dmlee57

Enthusiast
I have a HK 5 channel amp and a 5 year old Yamaha RX-V995. Both are great together for my application.

I have a problem and a subsequencial question. I'm hearing a 'popping' sound from the speakers when I switch task. Ie. Going from one sound field to the other or CD to TV.

Both units have been exposed to considerable household dust through their vents.

Would anybody recommend taking the cover off of both and using either an a typical computer type of aerosol 'dust blaster' or a good contact cleaner.

Either, neither or both?

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
dmlee57 said:
I have a HK 5 channel amp and a 5 year old Yamaha RX-V995. Both are great together for my application.

I have a problem and a subsequencial question. I'm hearing a 'popping' sound from the speakers when I switch task. Ie. Going from one sound field to the other or CD to TV.

Both units have been exposed to considerable household dust through their vents.

Would anybody recommend taking the cover off of both and using either an a typical computer type of aerosol 'dust blaster' or a good contact cleaner.

Either, neither or both?
I do both and have for years. No problem. Be careful and you'll be fine. Getting the dust out will also help the component stay cooler which will help it to last longer. Pots and switches can be cleaned with contact cleaner from Radio Shack. Be careful.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Dmlee57,
I have a question. Do you still get the same popping noise from the speakers when you first turn the equipment ON? To me it sounds like a problem with your amp.

Mr.T

D

dmlee57

Enthusiast
I have the amp plugged into the back of the receiver so when I turn on the receiver, I hear a surging sound. The amp coming on.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
dmlee57 said:
I have the amp plugged into the back of the receiver so when I turn on the receiver, I hear a surging sound. The amp coming on.
Well that's certainly a problem. You should NEVER use the convenience outlets of a receiver to turn on your amp. Those outlets are for devices that draw very little current; ie the opposite of your amp. Most receivers have a label that specifies the maximum power in watts or amps near that outlet as well as a warning in the manual. Mine says '120W, 1A max'. Its fine to plug in your dvd player or fm antenna (that's what I use mine for) but not an amp or tv.

If your receiver doesn't have a 12V trigger to turn on the amp, either leave the amp on all the time or buy a power center to plug the amp and receiver into.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Unfortunately Anonymous is wright.
Now I don't know if your amp or your receiver got damaged or not, but you can try plugging all of your equip. on a surge suppressor bar and see how things go.

There is a good possibility your problem will get solved by removing your amp. line cord from your receiver's aux. outlet and plugging it somewhere else, give it a try.

Attachments

D

dmlee57

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. Mr. T and Anonymous. I will try your advise.

Deep down I questioned myself when I plugged the big amp into the back of the receiver. It was something that I just wasn't sure whether it would hurt anything or not. I did it out of convenience. The amp has no remote.

But thanks guys. I'll let you know how it turns out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis