R

rpls5724

Enthusiast
I keep hearing from Vendors that I need to buy a Monster power center/strip for my HT syatem I have invested $2000 on my system already.
Is it necessary to by one of these expensive devices and if so which one is the best deal that will do the job for my system.
Thanks

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
A power conditioner is not a necessity. If you live in an area where there are brownouts and or surges then it may not be a bad idea. You can get a Powervar, Oneac or Tripplite from Ebay for very little compared to new cost or compared to a Monster product. The Oneac and Powervar models have Pi filters, send noise to ground and isolation transformers and can be had for pennies on the dollar. They're not as pretty but do a very good job. Designed for use in hospitals and labs where microelectronics need clean power they do the job without any pretend b.s. Just be sure you get one with a large enough amperage rating for what you'll use it for.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Surge protector

Surge protector

Surge protector

and for just a few dollars more you can have a built in line conditioner/noise filter as well.

So why not just buy a surge protector with built in line conditioner/noise filter?

Good idea!! ;) Line Conditioner and Surge protector.

Now, what brand?

Monster's products are as good, or better than anything else on the market. But why pay the inflated marketing price, when the competitors products are available, at a lower price, and often have a better warranty for the equipment that is attached.

Panamax (sp?) Belkin and many others are readily available at much lower prices than Monster. Check Office Depot/Staples as well as Home Depot/Lowes for a large selection of economical line conditioners. The house brands are often a very good deal. Entry level units can be had usually for less than $30.

Even Rat Shack is got an economy model with a decent protection warranty for the equipment that is attached.

By the way, I actually got a Monster unit. Not because I am wasteful, it is just that I can not pass up a steal of a price. I needed a unit with more than just 4 outlets and had to have cable protection. A current Monster model was being closed out by CC due to poor sales (I wonder why), and the huge, overkill, mega joule surge protector could be had for less than the store brand at Home Depot with a lower joule rating, so why not get the Monster?

Regarding power quality. My business and home are both within a two mile radius of the power generating plant in a light suburban setting. The business wiring is only a few years old. Home is older. Without line conditioners, TV's at both locations, especially bigger screens, are prone to RFI noise problems. Even my little $89 TV in the office has problems with RFI noise being generated by a fairly new Pentium 4 computer. The little TV is now hooked up to an economy ($20) line conditioner/surge protector .... no more RFI noise.

Say after me...

Surge protector with line conditioner

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis