Classic vs Modern loudspeaker technical design

EpsilonZer0

EpsilonZer0

Enthusiast
I am a loudspeaker design hobbyist and something I have been seeking answers for is if there was a technical reason the classic loudspeaker design fell to the wayside to the curvy modern approach where drivers are practically on the surface.

For clarification, when I refer to 'classic' design I mean the boxy framed designs like the JBL L100, Klipsh Forte, KLH Model 5, and Wharfedale Linton.
These types of classic designs often include a cover that mounts within the frame as opposed to outside the frame (JBL100 excluded) and the drivers are imbedded.

I understand that with the classic design there could be reflections where sound waves bounce off the inside of the frame, but based on reviews of the "new
classic" loudspeakers it does not seem to matter as much as people thought.

Another key difference with classic designs is the size of the woofers. Classic designs typically use a 12" woofer which does lend itself to more distortion in favor of power, but again the reviews of the new classic loudspeakers shows a lot less distortion than we thought.

Were we wrong in our technical reasons to abandon the classic loudspeaker design?

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Cost, cost, and more cost. Look at the few speakers still being made by hand within the US (or any non-Asian nation) with large drivers. They tend to cost as much as small cars.

Few manufacturers even bother with 10" woofers anymore, much less 12's. For bass extension, buy the matching subwoofer, which undoubtedly has an even higher profit margin than the towers themselves.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis