T

tranceponderer

Audiophyte
I have a different sort of question. I'm currently trying to upgrade my current less than perfect cube type surround sound into what im calling my surround sound system of doom.. Im not quite sure if its because it's doomed to fail or it will be really cool and impressive, but anyways heres what im doing.. In my my living room, since before i was born there have been a pair of AR90's hooked up to an Onkyo integra A-8017. Then in my room a pair of AR3a's hooked up to a sansui au-d7..all old school stuff. I've moved the ar's and rack into the living room and have set them up to be my rear left and right speakers, the 90's to be front left and right, and I bought a dvd player that has a built in decoder and am planing on splitting the signals off into their own separate amps and running my surround sound tri amped :D . So i'm asking for advice on a center channel speaker that might mesh well with these old 4 ohm power hogs. I was looking on e-bay and havent been able to find any vintage AR centers. I'd like to get an all AR system going but im not adament about it.
Please help me out oh wise adiophiles!
p.s. I'm a college student and suffer from being broke... but my ears must be appeased

U

Unregistered

Ar

Be patient and wait for an AR-7 to come up for auction. It is an 8 ohm unit and its somewhat boxy sound should lend itself well for center channel. Make sure this is the old one with the eight inch woofer and 1 1/4 inch tweeter. It has a walnut vinyl finish and white grill. They aren't particularly popular and shouldn't break the bank.

Jim

U

Unregistered

Oops, I mean on EBay.....

Quote:
Be patient and wait for an AR-7 to come up for auction (on EBay). It is an 8 ohm unit and its somewhat boxy sound should lend itself well for center channel. Make sure this is the old one with the eight inch woofer and 1 1/4 inch tweeter. It has a walnut vinyl finish and white grill. They aren't particularly popular and shouldn't break the bank.

Jim

T

tranceponderer

Audiophyte
to late!!... or is it??

Well i didn't have the patience. i ended up buying an infinity entra 2 center. but i could always use that for music in my room or mabey even hook it up to my computer? :D :D :D If nothing else it will be a chalenge :cool: . but hey, thanks for the recomendation . Is the ar7 a center chan? 8" woofer sounds big.. but hey, i just had a thought ill look it up on the internet. :eek: make sure it's not taller than my t.v's stand and all. by the way, thanks for your help, i think ill keep my eye's peeled for one. I do want to keep it all in the ar family, and do want it to match with my other walnut speakers. Is there any difference in the sound put out beetween an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm? Or is it just energy usage?

let my thank you surge like the finest THX............

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis