Classe Sigma Series AV Processor and Amplifier Interview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Regular readers will have noticed that Classe released their new entry level lineup at CEDIA 2014, the Sigma series. While we were able to get some of the basic information like amplifier ratings, the finer details of these new components were sparse at the time. Fortunately, Audioholics was able to get in touch with none other than Classe's President, David Nauber, to get the full scoop on the Sigma line. Inside we touch on the features available in the Sigma SSP preamp/processor, as well as the motivation behind various design decisions.

Classe Sigma Series AV Processor and Amplifier Interview

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think that without the sophisticated auto room correction software, these pre-pros are more like multi-channel preamps than "processors".

I know they try to sell the "less is more" mentality. But I don't buy it. :D

There is no reason why a high-end high quality pre-pro with complex auto room correction shouldn't measure superbly and sound superbly. Look at the Denon AVP-A1HDCI.

I think expensive equipment need to offer customers many options and it is the customers' rights to refuse to use them if they choose. But to not even offer the option altogether is very outdated thinking IMO.

Does recent research show that most audiophiles still prefer the "less is more" approach, especially with so many room correction software (Audyssey, ARC, Dirac, Trinnov, Lyngdorf, Yamaha, Pioneer, Harman, etc.) available today?

Last edited:
surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
It's an interesting read. The high enders are probably in despair in the thought of using SMPS!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's an interesting read. The high enders are probably in despair in the thought of using SMPS!
I didn't read it, but I'm in the boat of despair when it comes to SMPS!

They are more complex, and more prone to failure. That is my biggest concern, not the SQ.

For a power amplifier, unregulated DC supply is the proper approach.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis