Classe Sigma Amp5 or Parasound A51

L

Lew2864

Enthusiast
I am going to upgrade to a 5.4.2 system (from a 5.1 system with an Anthem A5 and D2V). I am interested in the Monolith, Arcam, Anthem, Marantz or Yamaha pre/pro. For power amps, I think that I have narrowed the choice down to two Parasound A51s or two Classe Sigma Amp5s. Both of those 5 channel amps can be had in the $2,500 each range. Has anyone compared those two power amps or have any thoughts about how those two might compare? At this point, I will be using my Paradigm Signature S8, C5 center and Sig 1.5R-30 as rear surrounds and adding 4 more Sig 1.5R-30s as Atmos in-ceiling speakers. But may at some point upgrade to new B&W 800 series, Revel, KEF or Dynaudio speakers all around.

But regarding amps, does the Classe Sigma Amp5 perform/sound as good as the Parasound A51 or my Anthem A5?

Thanks,

Lew

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dunno, what does your Anthem A5 sound like? Hopefully it would be equal in sound quality to a wide variety of amps if it is doing its job well, as would the Classe or Parasound amps. I'd go ATI/Outlaw/Monolith power amps myself if spending your money...spending my money I'd just get more Crown XLS amps, but I don't need the power in my current setups.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For power amps, I think that I have narrowed the choice down to two Parasound A51s or two Classe Sigma Amp5s. Both of those 5 channel amps can be had in the $2,500 each range. Has anyone compared those two power amps or have any thoughts about how those two might compare?
But regarding amps, does the Classe Sigma Amp5 perform/sound as good as the Parasound A51 or my Anthem A5?
Lew
Why would you spend more money to get Parasound or Classé power amps? If it's not for bragging rights, then you would get as good a sound quality with the Monolith or Outlaw brand. Keep the saved money to improve on your speakers instead.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am going to upgrade to a 5.4.2 system (from a 5.1 system with an Anthem A5 and D2V). I am interested in the Monolith, Arcam, Anthem, Marantz or Yamaha pre/pro. For power amps, I think that I have narrowed the choice down to two Parasound A51s or two Classe Sigma Amp5s. Both of those 5 channel amps can be had in the $2,500 each range. Has anyone compared those two power amps or have any thoughts about how those two might compare? At this point, I will be using my Paradigm Signature S8, C5 center and Sig 1.5R-30 as rear surrounds and adding 4 more Sig 1.5R-30s as Atmos in-ceiling speakers. But may at some point upgrade to new B&W 800 series, Revel, KEF or Dynaudio speakers all around.

Thanks,

Lew
If all you need is 5.4.2, I would save some money by going with a SR7013 or AVR-X6500H and get a bigger 3 channel power amp for the S8 anc C5 and let the AVR drive the surrounds and in-ceilings. Otherwise either the CX-A5100 or the AV7705 or 7704 if price is good, plus a 300 WX2 for the LCR, and something smaller, lighter and cheaper for the surrounds.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
First, you mean 5.2.4 -- not 5.4.2 -- since you are adding 4 ceiling Atmos speakers.

Second, we don't want this to turn into another one of those million arguments about which amps sound better. :D

Let's just say that all these high-end amps - Parasound, Classe, Anthem, ATI, etc., will sound GREAT.

For Pre-pro, I think the $2700 Yamaha CX-A5200 and $3,000 Anthem AVM-60 would be my choices for $3K or under. For more money, the $4K Monolith HTP-1 might be great.

The $2.5K 11Ch Monolith Amp might also be a great choice for amps if you are interested in Monoprice/Monolith. :D

Last edited:
L

Lew2864

Enthusiast
First, you mean 5.2.4 -- not 5.4.2 -- since you are adding 4 ceiling Atmos speakers.

Second, we don't want this to turn into another one of those million arguments about which amps sound better. :D

Let's just say that all these high-end amps - Parasound, Classe, Anthem, ATI, etc., will sound GREAT.

For Pre-pro, I think the $2700 Yamaha CX-A5200 and $3,000 Anthem AVM-60 would be my choices for $3K or under. For more money, the $4K Monolith HTP-1 might be great.

The $2.5K 11Ch Monolith Amp might also be a great choice for amps if you are interested in Monoprice/Monolith. :D
Thanks and very good point! I absolutely did not want to make this a “what amp brand sounds better thread”. It was more of a question of whether anyone had any experience with the “fairly” new Classe Signas (being that they are Class D) vs. the often well regarded Parasound Halo A51 (a traditional Class AB). When discussing B&W 800 series speakers, people often say that they are well matched to Classe amps, but I think that that match related to Classe’s AB amps, but I may be wrong.

So, my question was more along the lines of how a good Class D amp stack up with a good Class AB amp.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks and very good point! I absolutely did not want to make this a “what amp brand sounds better thread”. It was more of a question of whether anyone had any experience with the “fairly” new Classe Signas (being that they are Class D) vs. the often well regarded Parasound Halo A51 (a traditional Class AB). When discussing B&W 800 series speakers, people often say that they are well matched to Classe amps, but I think that that match related to Classe’s AB amps, but I may be wrong.

So, my question was more along the lines of how a good Class D amp stack up with a good Class AB amp.
They probably would be sonically indistinguishable unless you have particularly golden ears IMO. More about marketing with the Classe/B&W thing since they used to share the same owner....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Subjective opinions are difficult to debate. Who’s more correct? Which opinions have more weight?

Objective measurements and specs are easier to debate. If a class D amp has specs that are equal or better than a class AB amp, then we can say that the class D amp is “better” or equal objectively.

I haven’t looked at the specs on the Classe class D. But I’ve seen the specs on the ATI class D amps, and they look awesome - SNR 123dB, XT 100dB, Damping Factor 5,000, etc.

A great high-end amp will sound great regardless of the class.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It gets to a point where some amplifiers might have a better sound quality than others, but at a very higher cost, and only the ones with golden ears will hear it. But with loudspeakers, someone can get discernible superior sound quality with a lot less effort and time consuming also with a lot less money outlay.

If you want hear the real thing, then go to a concert and you will benefit from the acoustics of a good venue as well..

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I know @M Code has said this numerous times, but I totally forgot that Arcam is now owned by Harman, which is owned by SAMSUNG.
Basically Harman lacked a team of experienced engineers for home theater electronics, so they purchased Arcam from Jam Industries. Jam Industries is located in Montreal, Canada, is a large multi-brand distributor for pro & consumer audio brands, representing Harman for many years. But Jam lacked the deeper $ pockets to continue to fund/underwrite Arcam's development expenses, so Harman stepped in and bought Arcam. Note Arcam does the JBL Synthesis, Lexicon, Mark Levinson high end components, which basically support the respective brand images that Harman levers these to the 12V OE auto infotainment brands...

Just my $0.02... ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis