Classe, Mark Levinson, Plinius...

H

Halla

Audioholic Intern
what will you get yourself Classe, Mark Levinson or Plinius as 1.) pre-pros and 2.) power amps. Price etc. all aside. By brand or mingle them up.
Have fun

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Actually, I'll take One Rotel RSP-1098 Pre-Pro & Four Rotel RB-1092 Amps (1,000 watts RMS per Ch @ 4 ohms).:D

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
what will you get yourself Classe, Mark Levinson or Plinius as 1.) pre-pros and 2.) power amps. Price etc. all aside. By brand or mingle them up.
Have fun
I've been down this road before, never again!;) I ended up with Krell and Proceed. Dumbest thing I did.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've been down this road before, never again!;) I ended up with Krell and Proceed. Dumbest thing I did.
I would love to have an all-Krell system!:D

All-Krell or all-Mark Levinson!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Eye candy that's all, expensive eye candy.:)
I can live with Expensive Eye Candy.:D

But you know the build quality of those High-ends are exceptional.

If I were a millionaire & money aside, why not?

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
I still have my Krell and Proceed stuff it's relegated for my 2.0 system, my HT is all Panny except speakers which are Gallos. My Krell can drive anything, it weighs a ton and yes it's beautiful to look at, but besides that , meh, another expensive amp. Given the option I would never spend that kind of money again.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed.... I personally would look for something in the mid range in price over all that stuff... I have a Rotel 1095 which is a great amp, but my next amp will be something more like a Emotiva...

All those amps are beautiful, but definately not worth the money you are paying in my eyes... Power is Power, as long as its relatively clean..

Digital is the way to go...

Otherwise Monoblocks... if you really need that kind of power...

Or you can go with the truly powerful but ugly... that specs out pretty dam good.. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17004&highlight=behringer+a500

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Digital is the way to go...
Do you mean Class D (switching amplifiers)?

Or you can go with the truly powerful but ugly... that specs out pretty dam good.. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17004&highlight=behringer+a500
While the Behringer is great for the money it lacks heft. The transformer is decent size, the capacitors are modest for even mid-level receivers and has a decent output stage. Most of the amplifier's headroom has to come from the transformer, as the capacitors could be drained quickly. This could be an advantage though, because small value high voltage capacitors have a very quick recovery time, I think that adding more small caps (plent of room to do so in the A500) it could increase the amplifier's dynamic capability. The specs on the A500 seem a tad optimistic compared to similarly rated home audio amplifiers, but it is still a great value.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I also have been there, done that but I did it with tubes (Audio Research.) Never again. Total waste of money.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Value is in the eye of the beholder. Some people think that Bose has high value and that shows through high resale prices. Some people think that McInstosh is worth the high price tags new or used. I would never pay retail for a McIntosh or Krell amplifier, but boy I would love to have one.:D

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I still have my Krell and Proceed stuff it's relegated for my 2.0 system, my HT is all Panny except speakers which are Gallos. My Krell can drive anything, it weighs a ton and yes it's beautiful to look at, but besides that , meh, another expensive amp. Given the option I would never spend that kind of money again.

Wow! That's amazing. I'd have imagined the Krell would have blown the Panny away. Thanks for setting me straight. :eek:

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
There has to be a difference between the Krell and the Panasonic in fidelity. I refuse to believe there isn't.
Yep, refusal is futile;) :D

There have been some DBTs of similar hi-end and so called mid fi: no audible difference levels matched within design limits.

Why would there be? Are the specs so far different?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Wow! That's amazing. I'd have imagined the Krell would have blown the Panny away. Thanks for setting me straight. :eek:
Only perhaps with difficult loads and even then, the Krell has a rated limit after which it too will clip in an ugly fashion.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

... My Krell can drive anything, it weighs a ton and yes it's beautiful to look at, ....

Well, when it is time to do some arc welding, you will have one nice piece of welder;) :D

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Have fun
Aside from name dropping hi end gear i dont understand your question.

Was there something specific you wanted to know about these brands?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Some people think that McInstosh is worth the high price tags new or used. I would never pay retail for a McIntosh or Krell amplifier, but boy I would love to have one.:D
That'd be me:eek:

Ya know i like the used stuff:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis