Clarify: Cable tv and projectors, worth it?

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
I was recently asked by a buddy of mine, is buying a projector and simply hooking it up to cable TV worth it.

My reply to him was NO, not really unless you're going to get Satellite or some kind of digital source, you won't get the greatest picture quality even with a line-doubler. The only thing you'll enjoy is movies until you go digital.

Is this bad advice, someone let me know!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would agree. But, digital cable is readily available and HD cable is as well throughout many parts of the country. If HD cable is available to your friend, then that is something that is really good for a projection setup.

Most of all, there should be a DVD player hooked up to that projector. I don't understand why someone would get a projector, which basically demands the highest quality video feed out there due to the size of the image, then only be willing to feed it the worse possible source imaginable. VHS and analog Cable. Yes, it can actually look decent on a projector - but decent at its best. Fun for sure, but not an encompassing experience for sure.

Ditch the cable - hook up just a DVD player and THEN your talkin'!

D

Die Hard Yammy

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, I was pretty sure my advice was sound, I just wanted a second opinion.

I agree, using a projector without a digital source is a waste. That's like buying a Yamaha Z-9 and pairing it with BOSE! LOL

K

kingpawel

Audiophyte
I have a projector with a 90 inch screen. Currently have Comcast HD, the HD channels are amazing, the digital are good, and the analog are awful. DVD look really good as well. If you are doing HD, def worth it as well as anything that is digital.

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Good source key.

Yes, you were definitely correct in saying that he should subscribe to digital cable and preferably HD content if possible. At the very least a DVD source is required. Also, you may want to inform him that getting a good screen and having a light-controlled room are essential as well. If he doesn't intend to do anything but regular TV, the least he should do is keep the room nicely darkened and have a good screen, that way he can see the bad picture more clearly! He'll drop his jaw watching a DVD movie on a large screen for sure!

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I wanted to bump this thread to solicit some more responses...............

I haven't decided entirely which way I want to go as far as upgrading to a HDTV. Does anyone here who owns a front projector & screen watch a lot of regular TV i.e. sports,sit coms,etc. ? I currently have Directv (not HD yet) & watch an assortment of channels..............this is about 95% of my viewing. I pop in a movie about once a week, maybe twice at the most. How practical is it to have a proj. & screen for everyday viewing? Is this something that is much better for a dedicated room as opposed to having it as your main source for viewing everyday TV?

I have the opportunity to do whatever I wish as I'm single & my kids are grown. I'm intrigued by the idea of having my own "real" HT but can't really afford to buy two good units (a good RP & FP).

I'd appreciate all thoughts............thanks.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That was quite a few questions.

1. HD screens are the only way I recommend people to go, even if your viewing is limited now, an off-air receiver might pick up 5-10 channels for you later this year if you want one.

2. DirecTV is all digital which means it's quality is far better than the analog cable channels - comparible to digital cable channels. It looks good on a projector as long as the image isn't to big and you aren't overly critical of it.

3. Movies on DVD will blow you away! Especially if teamed with good sound.

4. Front projection absolutely requires light control. If you have a lot of light in the room, or have a hard time removing most of the light from the room, then front projection is not the way to go as your primary viewing source. Bulbs burn out much faster than they do for rear projection (size/brightness issues).

I've said this in other posts, but I used my front projection in my family room as my primary viewing source for about a year. I blew a bulb at about 9 months - $350.00 to replace. That's about 500 bucks a year in bulb costs and when I moved into my new home, the image was TOTALLY washed out during the daytime. Not enough light control. So, in 5-6 years I would drop about 3 grand on bulbs and I really wasn't enjoying the projector during the daytime. Fine, instead of 3 grand in expenses in upcoming years, I took the money and bought a 50" plasma. Now the screen comes down in front of the plasma at nights for HD and DVD viewing, and is up during the day for normal TV/HD/DVD watching.

Best decision I ever made as far as I'm concerned and my wife is very happy with the plasma.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Thanks BMXTRIX.................I dug this thread out rather than start a new one. You answered my only question in that your experience with a full time FP wasn't the best. Now I'll use this + all the other good info you & others have shared here to go find the best deal on a big DLP :) .........

..............or LCD(?) :eek:

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
DLP or LCD - I keep seeing the new Sony LCDs next to DLPs and going - that Sony looks SO much better. Meh, it's in Best Buy and Circuit City - who knows how off all of them are? Probably way off.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis