Choosing subwoofers

C

Cicchetto

Audiophyte
Svs pb3000 o monolith 15s, keep in mind i have a very big room about 30x30 feet

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How high are the ceilings? Is the room open to other areas?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK... Room Volume is all important to Low Frequency waves. As has been pointed out, "pressurizing" the whole room is a misnomer, but you will need some serious woofage to get good impact in there. I encourage you to do the math to get a good estimation of your room volume! (Total for what the Sub(s) will have to 'fill up'.)
With that, you should read the Bassaholics article here at AH. When you read Sub reviews here, they will reference their sizes for what a sub can handle. ;) This is helpful.

So, more questions:
What are your goals here?
Usage percentage HT to Music?
What is your budget?

C

Cicchetto

Audiophyte
OK... Room Volume is all important to Low Frequency waves. As has been pointed out, "pressurizing" the whole room is a misnomer, but you will need some serious woofage to get good impact in there. I encourage you to do the math to get a good estimation of your room volume! (Total for what the Sub(s) will have to 'fill up'.)
With that, you should read the Bassaholics article here at AH. When you read Sub reviews here, they will reference their sizes for what a sub can handle. ;) This is helpful.

So, more questions:
What are your goals here?
Usage percentage HT to Music?
What is your budget?
Ht music 50 50
2500$ can stretch to 3000$

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Huge room, if only one sub probably nearfield (i.e. near your seat) for best effect. Even estimating an average height of 10' that's 9000 cuft (!) without consideration of the open to other areas thing. Multiple large ported subs would be what I'd do. If just one sub maybe something from JTR like the ULF2400. Might be a good opportunity for a DIY project, too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I would urge you to consider that for good Subwoofer performance in that room, you will need 2-3 15" subs that can handle Very Large or Extreme rooms... I wouldn't recommend anything less than that.

The DIY angle, if you are so inclined could serve you very well here. Cost for performance is greatly in your favor with this, and you could easily build 3 18" behemoths for a mere pittance. You need space and tools, though, and some measure of skill if you want them to look good. If your time is valuable to you, and you lack the space and time... ;)

...I would urge you to consider any of the usual suspects we recommend to our friends engaging in this pursuit. :) Hsu, SVS, Monolith by Monoprice, Outlaw, PSA, Rythmik... and for a slightly higher ticket: JTR, Seaton, Deep Sea, and Funk. To be honest, the value leader right now seems to be Hsu, and 3 VTF 15H mk2s would be a great way to handle the bass needs of your room within your budget. (That link is for 2 ea, but if you call, they usually will give a discount on adding a third as well.) If you want to save a little bit, their VTF 3 is almost the same product with slightly different size and extension and will cost a little less.
SVS gets expensive, but the PB3000 or PB/PC4000 would be good options. You've already eyeballed the Monolith 15s. I use the Outlaw X-13s and can vouch for their quality.
At the end of the day, most of the Subs from these companies tend to be good products and will perform well.

Your room is going to be challenging, somewhat, just because of the sheer size. The fact you have Cathedral ceilings though is nice and will help your acoustics out by breaking up the parallel surfaces.

Please look at the companies I mentioned and ask some questions! Especially if you think you'd be interested in the DIY approach. There's a lot of great cat's here with varied experience, and we'll gladly help you out if we can!

Cheers!

C

Cicchetto

Audiophyte
I would urge you to consider that for good Subwoofer performance in that room, you will need 2-3 15" subs that can handle Very Large or Extreme rooms... I wouldn't recommend anything less than that.

The DIY angle, if you are so inclined could serve you very well here. Cost for performance is greatly in your favor with this, and you could easily build 3 18" behemoths for a mere pittance. You need space and tools, though, and some measure of skill if you want them to look good. If your time is valuable to you, and you lack the space and time... ;)

...I would urge you to consider any of the usual suspects we recommend to our friends engaging in this pursuit. :) Hsu, SVS, Monolith by Monoprice, Outlaw, PSA, Rythmik... and for a slightly higher ticket: JTR, Seaton, Deep Sea, and Funk. To be honest, the value leader right now seems to be Hsu, and 3 VTF 15H mk2s would be a great way to handle the bass needs of your room within your budget. (That link is for 2 ea, but if you call, they usually will give a discount on adding a third as well.) If you want to save a little bit, their VTF 3 is almost the same product with slightly different size and extension and will cost a little less.
SVS gets expensive, but the PB3000 or PB/PC4000 would be good options. You've already eyeballed the Monolith 15s. I use the Outlaw X-13s and can vouch for their quality.
At the end of the day, most of the Subs from these companies tend to be good products and will perform well.

Your room is going to be challenging, somewhat, just because of the sheer size. The fact you have Cathedral ceilings though is nice and will help your acoustics out by breaking up the parallel surfaces.

Please look at the companies I mentioned and ask some questions! Especially if you think you'd be interested in the DIY approach. There's a lot of great cat's here with varied experience, and we'll gladly help you out if we can!

Cheers!
Thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis