Choosing Subwoofer(s), HT & music

T

Toms-all-ears

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I have a 32 x 17' room with open ceiling 14' tall at the peak.  Floor is plywood over wooden joists with carpeting wall-to-wall over carpet padding. &nbsp;Using a Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD Player and Recorder with HHD and cable tuner through a Sony STR-DA7ES receiver for regular cable TV and 7.1 HT thru 3 Gallo Due's in front and 4 Micro's on Wallflower stands in back.  For music, using A/B speakers switch on Sony, the mains are Klipsch RF-7's.  The monitor is a Panasonic TH42PWD5UY plasma EDTV.  So now the choice to be made is what to use for a subwoofer to be musical and have enough slam to make HT really fun too.

Option #1 - Buy a slightly used REL Strata III, use &quot;double hookup&quot; that REL's allow.  If not enough presence for the size of the room, buy a second one and use as stereo subs.  $1850 or so for 2.  I doubt one will do it for this room.

#2 - Use one (also used) REL Stadium III instead.  $2075.

#3 - Use one 1 year old Paradigm Servo 15.  Black with local pickup = $900.  Or one in Cherry (to match RF-7's) in near new condition with X-30 with delivery = $1072.  Doubt I'd need two of these.  My worry is they won't be as musical as the REL's, but would think more be more active in HT use then the REL's.  The Sony receiver has the low-level in's and out's needed to use the X-30.  This one is front-firing.

#4 - ACI Titan II LE, new in Cherry for $1200 delivered.

#5 - ACI Force, a pair new in Cherry for $1720 delivered.

#6 - ???  Any ideas?  Veladyne?

I should mention that I have tinninitus (from my high school days drumming in a rock band) which means I miss a lot on the top end sonically.  The RF-7's sounded far better to me, richer in the highs than anything else less than twice the price.  I'm not looking for thump-in-the-belly bass, hate it actually in the usual car stereo application.  But I am questioning if the REL Strata's, even a pair of them would do justice to the demands of HT - I do want some rumble and slam effect when appropriate.

I'm trying not to waste salesman's time in stores knowing I'm so much more likely to go the Audiogon route.  But I'd very much like the benefit of the experience I see here reading the chains.  So far I'd say I'm leaning toward the pair of Strata's idea.  Plus I can buy first one and try it out to see, and if unhappy can probably sell it again easily for almost the same as I paid.  Not so sure the Stadium could be resold so easily and it's more money at first.  But it sure would be musical enough and big enough to handle the large room - anyone know how well a Stadium III does in HT applications?  Does anyone have an opinion as to whether 2 Strata III's are better than one Stadium III?  I've heard the Servo 15 can really pump out the bass but I've never yet actually listened to one for myself.  Same for the Stadium III, but I have heard the Strata for myself.

And do S-Video connecting cables come in long lengths, say 25'?  If so where can I buy one (to connect the other-side -of-the-room computer with an ATI video card to the Sony receiver)?

Thanks.</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
<font color='#000000'>Hi
I would look at this subwoofer for double duty
http://www.revelspeakers.com/revelB15.html
It has Plenty of slam for demanding LFE track
and grace for 2 channel &nbsp;The REL is a nice &quot;Audiophile&quot;
subwoofer but lacks slam IMOHO
I would also take a look at the SVS Line
Cheers Ray</font>

T

Toms-all-ears

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Ray.  B-15 does look great but too much money.

What I did do yesterday was buy a pair of 6 month old, perfect condition Servo-15's in cherry finish with one X-30 controller included (from a private seller I found thru Audiogon).  My seller was upgrading to Martin Logan Descents.  The Servo's will shortly be on their way to me.  $2300 total, a good deal I think (new = $3400 + tax)though it would've been $200 less except my seller had tossed his boxes and we had to buy new ones.  Well, this way I won't be wishing for a little more punch when watching HT.  

On the Sony STR-DA7ES A/V receiver, does the &quot;.1&quot; LFE output (to the X-30) continue or shut down when &quot;stereo mode&quot; is selected rather than 5.1?  And even if it does continue, does it carry anything other than the sum of the L and R pre-amp outputs?  If it doesn't, then it would seem better to use both L/R outputs to feed the X-30 because the left Servo can play left track bass and the right, right - more of a benefit if the crossover setting chosen is high.  And of course the return interconnects if run to the external inputs allow the mains to be relieved of the job of playing the bass.  

So here's the question:  Am I missing anything if I don't use the LFE, but use the ins/outs of the receiver instead to run the twin Servo's?  Is it a one-sided choice with all the advantages arguing against using the LFE connection, or are there any trade-offs in favor of using the mono LFE?  And if I did use the LFE connection would I still have bass coming from the subs when not in 5.1 mode?  Thanks.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis