G

<font color='#000000'>Hi homtheater enthusiasists;
I'm a new comer and an amatuer of sound and vision entertainment. I'm here to ask for you experiences on advicing me choosing most suitable receivers interm of music and movie ( very greedy ). I now own the Denon receiver avr 3802 and i want to change to the new one. Frankly Denon avr 3802 is doing well. But i think i probably should try the new one to see if there may be some other brands that difinately uotperform compares to the Denon at the not much price different level? I center my next choices to:Sony 7es, Onkyo 800, pioneer elite 45tx or the Denon 3803 ( for those having experiences of the 3803, please do some comments on this one).
And as what i know about the denon 3803 featuring the 16 burr-brown PCM-1791 high resolution 24-bitchips for its eight channels, any of you would give comment on this chip? is that brand could simply &nbsp;warranty the sound value?
Thank you very much for your help.</font>

B

BTech

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Why dont you consider Harman Kardon , Either the 525 or 325 , the only difference is the Price and the Power. I dont see why you wouldnt be happy, Harman makes a great product at a great price. Its also good to look at.</font>

E

Eric

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I’ve had my AVR3803 for several months now and absolutely love it. Denon used their experience with the 5803 when designing the 3803 (and several parts from the 5803 as well). The popularity of the 3803 was quite evident to me when my Dealer sold out twice; I had to order mine! &nbsp;

Burr-brown (Texas Instruments) makes very high quality DAC’s and ADC’s. The 1791 has the following features:

24-Bit Resolution
Analog Performance (VCC = 5 V):
Dynamic Range: 113 dB, Typical
SNR: 113 dB, Typical
THD+N: 0.001%, Typical
Full-Scale Output: 2.1 V RMS (at Postamp)
Differential Voltage Output: 3.2 Vp-p
8× Oversampling Digital Filter:
Stop-Band Attenuation: –82 dB
Pass-Band Ripple: ±0.002 dB
Sampling Frequency: 10 kHz to 200 kHz
System Clock: 128, 192, 256, 384, 512, or 768 fS With Autodetect
Accepts 16-, 20-, and 24-Bit Audio Data
DSD Format Interface Available
Optional Interface to External Digital Filter or DSP Available
TDMCA or Serial Port (SPI/I2C)
User-Programmable Mode Controls:
Digital Attenuation: 0 dB to –120 dB, 0.5 dB/Step
Digital De-Emphasis
Digital Filter Rolloff: Sharp or Slow
Soft Mute/PCM Format
Zero Detect Mute/PCM Format
Zero Flag for Each Output/PCM and DSD Formats

You can check out the full specs here:

http://focus.ti.com/docs....CM1791A

I actually researched many of the parts in the 3803 before I decided on Denon. The DSP is equally impressive. We had a DSP presentation at work a while back by Analog Devices and TI. I was very impressed with AD’s DSP technology (as were my fellow engineers).

What it all boils down to is the sound. I listened to several different receivers before I decided. In my opinion the 3803 was the best receiver I heard (in its price point).

Gene is reviewing the 3803's big brother right now. So far he says it's the best he has ever heard:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

So far &nbsp;I am more than impressed with the Denon AVR-5803 and DVD 2900 combo. &nbsp;This is about the best sounding receiver I ever had the fortune of reviewing and the best sounding and highest quality DVD player in my experience as well. &nbsp;I am amazed by the DVD 2900's performance to say the least! &nbsp;More on this later.

</td></tr></table>

I think you would be very happy with the 3803 if you like the 3802. Go give it a listen
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unregistered

difference between models

I was told the four numbers on the model ie 5740 as opposed to the three numbers like V450 disignate the difference between the "A" product, being the three numbers and only sold by high end dealers or the B product being sold by large discount dealers. Is this true? Is there a difference between the two?

J

jtgwinatl

Audiophyte
Eric said:
<font color='#000000'>I’ve had my AVR3803 for several months now and absolutely love it. Denon used their experience with the 5803 when designing the 3803 (and several parts from the 5803 as well). The popularity of the 3803 was quite evident to me when my Dealer sold out twice; I had to order mine! &nbsp;

Burr-brown (Texas Instruments) makes very high quality DAC’s and ADC’s. The 1791 has the following features:

24-Bit Resolution
Analog Performance (VCC = 5 V):
Dynamic Range: 113 dB, Typical
SNR: 113 dB, Typical
THD+N: 0.001%, Typical
Full-Scale Output: 2.1 V RMS (at Postamp)
Differential Voltage Output: 3.2 Vp-p
8× Oversampling Digital Filter:
Stop-Band Attenuation: –82 dB
Pass-Band Ripple: ±0.002 dB
Sampling Frequency: 10 kHz to 200 kHz
System Clock: 128, 192, 256, 384, 512, or 768 fS With Autodetect
Accepts 16-, 20-, and 24-Bit Audio Data
DSD Format Interface Available
Optional Interface to External Digital Filter or DSP Available
TDMCA or Serial Port (SPI/I2C)
User-Programmable Mode Controls:
Digital Attenuation: 0 dB to –120 dB, 0.5 dB/Step
Digital De-Emphasis
Digital Filter Rolloff: Sharp or Slow
Soft Mute/PCM Format
Zero Detect Mute/PCM Format
Zero Flag for Each Output/PCM and DSD Formats

You can check out the full specs here:

http://focus.ti.com/docs....CM1791A

I actually researched many of the parts in the 3803 before I decided on Denon. The DSP is equally impressive. We had a DSP presentation at work a while back by Analog Devices and TI. I was very impressed with AD’s DSP technology (as were my fellow engineers).

What it all boils down to is the sound. I listened to several different receivers before I decided. In my opinion the 3803 was the best receiver I heard (in its price point).

Gene is reviewing the 3803's big brother right now. So far he says it's the best he has ever heard:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

So far &nbsp;I am more than impressed with the Denon AVR-5803 and DVD 2900 combo. &nbsp;This is about the best sounding receiver I ever had the fortune of reviewing and the best sounding and highest quality DVD player in my experience as well. &nbsp;I am amazed by the DVD 2900's performance to say the least! &nbsp;More on this later.

</td></tr></table>

I think you would be very happy with the 3803 if you like the 3802. Go give it a listen
</font>

I"m glad you love the 3803 I have a two part question.

1. Do you think that $600 for the 3803 is a favorable price?
  2. Are the differences from the 3803, and the 3805 Marginal for the price i can get the 3803 for?

Thanks, your opinion would be greatly appreciated.
j.t.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis