Choosing a set of headphones

RipperHoss

RipperHoss

Enthusiast
Unfortunately the walls in the town house I live in are not as thick as the landlord claimed. I have a rather unusual work schedule and my neighbors do not seem to appreciate my music/movies playing at 9pm or later.

As I live alone, I'm seriously considering purchasing a good set of headphones. The two pair that I've narrowed it down to is a pair of Sennheiser HD555 or Sennheiser HD595. (Narrowed to these because I understand them to be exceptional quality ... and I will receive a massive discount on either pair).

My question is whether the HD595s are worth the additional money. These will primarily be used for movies & music, probably both with my computer and my home theater.

Last edited:
S

Steve1000

Audioholic
Take a look:

http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=121&subTopicID=189&graphType=0&graphID[0]=243&graphID[1]=441&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones

Bottom line: You're on the right track! Now...... flip a coin! The HD595 looks a little better, yes, but I bet they sound pretty similar. If you are a stickler for sound quality or auido is a hobby for your or you are a little on the obsessive side or have a little extra money on hand, the HD595s may give you a little extra peace of mind. If you pride yourself on bang for the buck, maybe the 555s will suit your psyche. If you want a shade more bass and a shade more upper-midrange / lower treble, maybe you'd prefer the HD555s. If you like the smoothest possible response to include a smooth midrange, maybe you'd want the HD595s!

By the way, headroom has a great return policy and is a nice company to deal with, but as far as cables and amps go, be on snake-oil alert. :)

RipperHoss said:
Unfortunately the walls in the town house I live in are not as thick as the landlord claimed. I have a rather unusual work schedule and my neighbors do not seem to appreciate my music/movies playing at 9pm or later.

As I live alone, I'm seriously considering purchasing a good set of headphones. The two pair that I've narrowed it down to is a pair of Sennheiser HD555 or Sennheiser HD595. (Narrowed to these because I understand them to be exceptional quality ... and I will receive a massive discount on either pair).

My question is whether the HD595s are worth the additional money. These will primarily be used for movies & music, probably both with my computer and my home theater.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I just got a pair of HD-555s for times when my wife/son is asleep and I want to enjoy a movie and gotta say that I almost prefer them at the moment to just listening to my speakers in the room which is invariably filled with whining or complaining (you decide which is making which noise)... :)

I specifically looked for hard wired phones of good quality and a design for more movie listening audio than CD audio and think that I made the right decision with the HD-555 from Sennheiser.

Which leads me to believe that you need to consider your listening and which is more important to you in the features of the headphones. The HD-555 seems to be the bad @ss monster to rock the movie world in headphones from the research I did. Others seem much more musically directed.

Your choice, you should be happy no matter what.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
My choice was the HD 580. I am very, very happy with them.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
My friend bought the HD595s, and I just purchased a pair of Sony MDR-7506s. I'd say that the sound quality is about the same, with the Sony's possibly being a little better. If you need sound isolation, then you don't want the Sennheisers, as they are open air headphones. The 7506s are very good at isolating. One thing the HD595s definitely have is comfort. I wear glasses and I don't feel the extra pressure at all. The muffs are just that comfy. Course, I also bought the 7506s for monitoring applications (electronic music composition class here at the U), and you may not demand that.

I'd say that they're both a good choice, just decide on what you want. As a note, the 7506s can be had for about 100 bucks online (I know for a fact that Musician's Friend sells them for this price), they fold, and come with a bag. The 595s are about 300, or a little less online.

Good luck.

RipperHoss

RipperHoss

Enthusiast
Well, as I said, I'll be buying either one at a big discount (5% over dealer cost ... thanks to a relative who works at Best Buy), which makes the difference in price a little under $60.

I will be using them primarily for music, with the occasional movie thrown in there. I may just spend the extra money and get the 595s.

I'll let you know how they turn out. Thanks for the advice.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, I'm hoping for the best here and jsut dropped coin on the Creek OBH11 amp and Grado SR125 headphones. It's a shot in the dark...but hey, if I don't like 'em I know my dad has been griping about how his 30-some year old Sansui cans are starting to not sound good anymore (I have no clue how he could wear those things....headphones/neck-weights they are!!!)

RipperHoss

RipperHoss

Enthusiast
Results

Well, I decided to purchase the Sennheiser HD555. I have been thoroughly pleased with my choice. They are so lightweight that I often forget I'm wearing them, the open-air design still allows me to hear what's going on in my apartment (ie phone ringing) which I consider good, as I live alone and it's pretty quiet, and the sound is excellent.

I highly recommend them. :)

20to20K

Full Audioholic
How about the HD590's?

The local Tweeter has a pair of open box 590's on sale for $110. He said they usually go for $225. Sounds like I should grab them. Get the full 2 year warranty and everything.

Anybody have any experience with the 590's? Is it logical to assume that the 590's are better than the 555's but not as good as the 595's?

The specs for all three appear to be near identical on Sennheisers home page.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
20to20K said:
The local Tweeter has a pair of open box 590's on sale for $110. He said they usually go for $225. Sounds like I should grab them. Get the full 2 year warranty and everything.

Anybody have any experience with the 590's? Is it logical to assume that the 590's are better than the 555's but not as good as the 595's?

The specs for all three appear to be near identical on Sennheisers home page.
Lowest price I have noticed is about $165, with average being slightly higher. So that is a great price on the product. It is not logical to automaticly assume a product is *better* because it is a higher model number, however. But at that price.... try 'em. :)

-Chris

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Good cans

Funny you should mention assumptions about model numbers. I found this website that compares several headphones in different price groups.

Makes good reading for anyone interested in buying.

http://www.goodcans.com/HeadphoneReviews/

BTW...I picked up those 590's today during my lunch break. I'll let you know what I think!

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
well for anyone else in this thread wondering about phones, I got my Grado SR-125s and my Creek OBH-11 amp. The headphones sound great, but my soundcard couldn't drive them very well (I'm using this on a computer), fortuately that amp did the job, and gives me a nice volume knob to play with :)

Only thing I noticed with Grado is they are a bit bright, but extremely sensitive.

oh, and if you want to plug it directly into a 1/8" jack, you have to buy an adaptor, these phones were 1/4" only.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I'm curious about the following two statements. They seem to contradict one another:

mustang_steve said:
..I got my Grado SR-125s and my Creek OBH-11 amp. The headphones sound great, but my soundcard couldn't drive them very well (I'm using this on a computer), fortuately that amp did the job...
...Only thing I noticed with Grado is they are a bit bright, but extremely sensitive...
Is there a variable you are leaving out? Does the soundcard have an insufficient output stage to power low impedance loads(headphones); thus resulting in audible harmonic and/or intermodular distortion levels? If so, did you confirm such with measurement? Or does the soundcard have DC blocking capacitors on the outputs that are too small for the given load, thus resulting in greatly attenuated bass frequencies?

-Chris

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I think he means that there isn't enough power to drive the headphones using the computer. Unless you have a good soundcard, your computer isn't going to put out enough juice to drive the higher impedence headphones. You turn the volume all the way up, and it's still only low-level listening.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jaxvon said:
I think he means that there isn't enough power to drive the headphones using the computer. Unless you have a good soundcard, your computer isn't going to put out enough juice to drive the higher impedence headphones. You turn the volume all the way up, and it's still only low-level listening.
The Grado SR-125 is not a high impedance headphone. BTW, impedance does not tell you if a headphone is efficient. In this particular subject matter(headphones), that's just how many people seem to wrongfully interpret. A higher impedance headphone may seem to require more power, but in reality it just needs more voltage, but with less current, if you are comparing two headphones with similar sensativity but different impedances.

As far as I know, the Grado SR-125 is an efficient and low impedance headphone.

-Chris

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
I found out my problem...stupid me, I had the card's jumpers set to "line out".

Oh well, I like the amp anyways :D

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
20to20k, I scoff at your Sennheisers. MDR-7506 FOR LIFE! :p

Seriously though, cans are just like speakers, definitely a personal preference. I bought the 7506s because I wanted high quality sound, rugged design, reasonable price, awesome accuracy, and the ability to do monitoring. I wanted to get some 'phones for pleasure listening, but I couldn't really justify it. BUT...when headphones were a requirement for my music class, I wrote it off as school supplies and splurged :D

Besides, in a college environment, closed ear are basically a must.

S

sox4cows

Audiophyte
I've listened to Grados for over 15 years now and, even though I have a pretty decent stereo setup, sometimes I still prefer music through headphones. They're great headphones that are pretty easy to drive, but they're treble-laden compared to the many other cans I've listened to. (I think the hype 15 years ago was that they were "crisp", now they're considered "bright".) They don't lack bass (I love my Grado's bass response), but they have a definite overemphasis on higher frequencies at typical mid-range listening levels. A frequent way to compensate is to use a poorly-designed tube amp with lots of rolloff at the top...

I actually spent almost a year trying different phones before I decided on the HP-1s, and in retrospect the decision process was almost comical. I found at least 10 different pairs I would've been happy with at a variety of prices, but I settled on these because of the tank-like metal construction and I could get a demo pair at 60% off. Since they've lasted this long with no signs of quitting, they were a good buy.

I've found an external amp isn't a bad idea, as many of the headphone outputs I've used haven't been very good. The most common problem has been rolloff at the low end (including finding low-value "coupling capacitors" in series with the jack), and I've even run across a couple which had audible distortion driving anything other than exactly 8ohm or very high impedance headphones. Headphone jacks frequently seem to be an area in which manufacturers spend as little as possible.

(On the other hand, if your equipment has a decent headphone output an external amp won't do anything for you. And a super-expensive headphone amp won't work any better than a reasonable one, of course.)

My advice is simple: if you're considering a major headphone purchase, always listen to as many cans as possible before buying... which almost always means finding a friendly local dealer. What works is more about personal taste than anything else, and you may very well find a $30 pair which fit and sound just as good as (or better than) those $400 Grados or $insane Stax.

For example, Grados are not exactly known for their comfort over long sessions. (One honest reviewer said something like "it feels like my ears were squished in a vise", and the HP-1s did feel the way the first few wearings.) Beyerdynamics were the most comfortable cans I tried, as they had really nice pseudo-felt pads instead of the foam or fake leather used in so many others. (Mileage will vary; do not drive car while wearing headphones over eyes.)

One issue I have with the current Grado designs is that they feel kinda fragile. I wouldn't recommend the RS-1s or RS-2s; the wood looks nice, but I gotta wonder how long they'll last and they just seem overpriced. The clips holding the speakers on the plastic models have always looked like they would break pretty easily, and a friend of mine had continual problems with the metal pieces coming out of his SR-80s. They definitely are light, though, and are sturdier than some of the cheaper models on the market.

Just some advice from a "serious headphone user" who hates the snake oil as much as anybody... avoid the hype and the high prices, and try lots of different cans before making a purchase.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
Sennheisers vs. Sony...

Hey Jax,

On my Sennheisers while listening to "Gacho" I can hear Fagen in the background say to Becker: "If we try and do one of those lame comeback albums twenty years from now somebody please shoot me!"

Can you hear that on your Sony's!? :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis