Choosing a Music Server that will work with my current system

S

ssanford69

Audiophyte
Hello Everyone,

I am interested in buying a Music Server/Streamer/CD Ripper with internal storage. But I'm unclear about how/if various Server models will work with my existing receiver ... the Marantz SR7011. All my sources go into the SR7011 and I use the pre-outs to connect (unbalanced RCA) to my Parasound Halo 21+ power amp that drives my PSB Imagine T3 Tower speakers. I also run two REL S3/SHO Sub-woofers (if that matters). I want to be able to download and stream from Tidal's MQA music library, so the Music Servers I've chosen below will support this format.

My problem is that I don't quite understand how the Music Server output(s) will "pass through" to my Marantz SR7011 Receiver. I know that the SR7011 does NOT decode MQA files. So, does a digital output from a Music Servers send a DEcoded or ENcoded signal. My understanding is that I have to connect a Music Server so that it can decompress the MQA format before passing it to my Marantz. But I'm unclear about which outputs from the Music Servers will send the proper signal to my reciever.

For instance, will an HDMI output from any of the Music Servers carry the decompressed MQA signal such that the HDMI input on my SR7011 can process it? Below are some Servers and models that I am considering. I have specific questions about each, but your advice/guidance regarding alternatives would be GREATLY appreciated. I understand a lot of this stuff, but I'm still a greenhorn in the Audiophile community and I need some help.

I know this may require some research on the part of any respondents, so apologize for my ignorance in advance. I also understand that I know enough to be dangerous, but my question might be non-sensical and misguided. PLEASE - correct me whenever possible and don't hold back. I'm almost 50 years old, so I can handle the criticism.

Innuos – Zen MK3 or the Zenith MK3
(I believe that these would require a DAC before connecting to my Marantz???)

NAD = M50.2
(Does the HDMI output of the M50.2 send a decoded MQA signal that my SR7011 can output process?)

Cocktail Audio = X45, X45 Pro, X50D, or the X50 Pro
General Website = http://www.cocktailaudio.com/home/sub02.php
Product Specs and Comparison Website = (Does the HDMI output of any of these servers send a decoded MQA signal that my SR7011 can process?)

Am I giving up quality or performance by thinking about the music servers in this way?
Am I going out-of-bounds by combing these components in this manner?

I care the most about my music and its 2-Channel stereo quality/sound. Home theater sound and quality is MUCH less important forme. Although I'm a huge film buff, most of the films I watch are old, foreign, or can never be upgraded to a format that a "home theater" can enhance. The important thing is the stereo music listening for me.

All you feedback is welcome,
Scott

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis