Cheapest soundbar/powered speaker with HDMI in/out

O

ohio

Junior Audioholic
Crossposting from Soundbar forum since no one actually goes there...

I handed down my old projector (Mits HC1500) and screen, and a Chromecast dongle, to my girlfriend's sister. It set up perfectly at her apartment until we realized that it has no speaker and she therefore has no sound.

Seems like the easiest and cheapest solution is to add a soundbar with HDMI in/out - cheaper even than some hand-me-down speakers which would require her to buy a receiver, which would cost more, be more complicated, and be messier. SQ is basically irrelevant for this customer.

The best options I could find were the Yamaha YAS-107 and the Vizio SB3830, both 200 bucks. Is there anything out there cheaper? Hoping to find a solution for $100 if possible. Willing to buy used. Also willing to consider alternatives to the soundbar, but trying to keep it simple and user-friendly for her.
----
To clarify what might be obvious, I'm thinking chromecast plugged into soundbar HDMI in, with the soundbar HDMI out sending video to the projector. If she wanted to she could also plug her laptop into the soundbar by pulling the chromecast.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If it were me, I’d hit the pawn shop ang get an avr and pair of speakers. Could probably hit the $100.00 target or at least get close. I just saw in one of our local shops two Integra receivers and some klipsch and infinity speakers. Bookshelf and towers. They weren’t for me, but in a pinch they’d be pretty damn good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis