Cheaper Surround Speakers to pair with Revel F208 and C208

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would stay away from those MTM on-walls. MTMs have a very narrow and rocky dispersion pattern along the line of the woofers. Unless you can aim those speakers directly at the listener, go with a more conventional design.
I understand what you are saying, but my understanding is that these are intended to be mounted vertically such that the line of the woofers is up-down, while the LPs will be horizontal, thus avoiding the rocky dispersion pattern. But you know this stuff better than I do!
What am I missing?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I understand what you are saying, but my understanding is that these are intended to be mounted vertically such that the line of the woofers is up-down, while the LPs will be horizontal, thus avoiding the rocky dispersion pattern. But you know this stuff better than I do!
What am I missing?
The problem is that when you orient an MTM vertically, the vertical dispersion becomes very narrow. So let's say you mounted one higher up, as most surround speakers tend to be mounted, well unless it is angled downward so that the tweeter has a vector with the listener's ears, the listener is going to be seated in a large null which will eliminate most of the midrange.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The problem is that when you orient an MTM vertically, the vertical dispersion becomes very narrow. So let's say you mounted one higher up, as most surround speakers tend to be mounted, well unless it is angled downward so that the tweeter has a vector with the listener's ears, the listener is going to be seated in a large null which will eliminate most of the midrange.
Good point, I wasn't considering mounting them high (because I understand the problem), but most people seem to (I assume mainly to keep them out of harms way)!

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
I am in the process of setting up my HT/audio room and am looking for some speaker advice.
I currently have a pair of Revel F208s and will shortly be ordering the C208 center.

However, I am about at the end of my AV equipment budget for awhile. I'd love to add 2 pairs of the Revel M106s for side and rear surrounds, but the budget won't allow it at this time.
I am looking for a couple of pairs of cheaper bookshelf speakers that I can use for the next year or two as surrounds, before I purchase the matching Revels.... then I will repurpose the cheaper speakers out to my garage setup. Powering the speakers in my setup will be pair of older Acurus 100W/channel amplifiers.

A few options that have come to mind are
1) NHT C1s (if Amazon ever puts them on sale again)
2) NHT SuperOnes
3) Elac Unifi (now $300/pair)
4) Wharfdale 225s (now $300/pair)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the options above and if there are any other speakers in the $300/pair range I should be looking at to best match with my Revels.

Thanks!
I do not have an answer for you, but I am interested in what you are powering you F208’s and is it enough? I understand they have a low sensitivity level and are power hungry. I will here shortly buy something and will seriously consider these speakers if I can feed them properly. I will have an Anthem MCA 325 to feed them 225wattsx3 channels 8 ohms, 400 4ohms, & 600 2 ohms according to the spec sheet. Whatever that poop means.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis