Cheap Speaker Package for Pioneer VSX-D814-S

H

HoneyMan

Enthusiast
I just purchased a Pioneer VSXD-814-S 120w Receiver and I need a very cheap surround package.

I am thinking about getting Sony's new SAVE 366-T 120w 6.1 package or Logitech's Z-5500's

The Z-5500 sattelites are rated 60w. Will that be a problem as my Receiver is 120w?

Can I hook them up in the same way as the sony's or will I need a optical cable adjusting volume and other features using the Logitech in-built amp?

Should I just sell my Pioneer Reciever and use the Z-5500's to decode?

Forget about looks and the extra channel which package would sound better connected to my Receiver?

So many questions..
Thankyou.

Last edited:
D

dreadstar

Audioholic Intern
Choices

HoneyMan said:
I just purchased a Pioneer VSXD-814-S 120w Receiver and I need a very cheap surround package.

I am thinking about getting Sony's new SAVE 366-T 120w 6.1 package or Logitech's Z-5500's

The Z-5500 sattelites are rated 60w. Will that be a problem as my Receiver is 120w?

Can I hook them up in the same way as the sony's or will I need a optical cable adjusting volume and other features using the Logitech in-built amp?

Should I just sell my Pioneer Reciever and use the Z-5500's to decode?

Forget about looks and the extra channel which package would sound better connected to my Receiver?

So many questions..
Thankyou.

Try going to ebay and pick up 5 of the promedia sats price about $20-25 a peice. 2 way with the klipsch horn will work so much better than an a one driver speaker. If your looking for an inexpensive method to get sound. These are not the best out there but sound fairly decent considering the size of the speaker.
Klipsh also makes a 5.1 system the Ultra but they are very expensive and you already have an amplifier so why buy another one. Just pick up a decent amplified subwoofer and you will be set.

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
I wouldn't recommend the Z-5500's since they're powered speakers with a built in decoder, which would completely bypass your receiver.

You can get the Athena Micra 6 system that was recommended in the Audioholics.com $1000 ultimate system guide. I'm very happy with my slightly larger Point 5 MKII SE system from Athena.

There are a lot of other good surround speaker systems in the same price range as the Sonys you linked. The athenas (noted above) and the Polk Audio systems jump immediately to mind, but there are lots of others.

(note that all the prices in these links are Canadian Dollars, it looks like you're Australian so you might want to find a local supplier.)

Malakei

Malakei

Junior Audioholic
sony??

I wouldn't ever advise anyone to go with anything made by sony.... however like it was said above the computer speakers are seperately powered and will not work with your amp... however you can get a mini to rca attachment and simply plug those speakers into your rca audio ports in the back of your tv.... if youve already got your amp and really want to use it for speakers... then i wouldnt suggest them. Truthfully the computers speakers logitech makes are amazing they produce very nice sound but have such ample power in such small drivers it blows my mind. I have the smaller z560s tha i bought a couple years ago and they pound like the day i bought them, they are smaller rated at 400watts rms where the 5500 are at 500 i believe. Im not really sure what to suggest... depending on your video card... youd be suprised at the home theatre you could set up just usuing your computer and a DVI to RGB converter running your rgb cable to the back of your TV assuming it has component video. The sound cards that are out today are pretty spectacular, even the onboard SOUNDSTORM that my motherboard has is THX certified with dolby digital encoding etc..They would make a pretty nifty HT out of your computer but im sure there is more downfalls to that solution that ive ever noticed before. Anyway, im currently about to buy a 6.1 system from onkyo, the ht510 setup and it will go easy on your checkbook at 177usd from brandnamez.com the speakers in the system are rated for 100watts rms a channel so your reciever will do nicely even when they are drawing full power. I would suggest these.. but it looks as tho you may have a litle more money to spend. Perhaps the harman kardan 14 sysem? Very stylish very nice system but a little more money at something in the 400 range i believe. Thats my two cents hehe :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis