M

Mike1963

Audiophyte
Hi every one.
I’m on the look out for a centre speaker upgrade, at present I have a CMc2 a mk 1 version. My L/R are Prime pinnacles, now I know a lot of you will say I need to try the SVS Ultra but I really don’t think it will be an upgrade on what I have. Two speakers I like the look of are the Goldenear super centre XL and the reference, both expensive but look really good.
What are your thoughts.
Mike

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the Golden Ear centers will be either a lateral move or a step down from your existing center due to their MTM design. If you want a really big step up, look at the Polk Legend L400 or the Revel PerformaBe C426Be. If you really aren't worried about money, also look at the Focal Sopra center or the Perlisten S7c.

M

Mike1963

Audiophyte
Well they both look like amazing centres, I can’t seem to find the Polk L400 for sale over here at all, as for the Revel it looks amazing but if I purchased that I think my wife would make me sleep in the garden for the next few years

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Paradigm Premier center speakers are very good - do you have access to those? I would guess that the KEF R2c is good too.

M

Mike1963

Audiophyte
The Paradigm Premier center speakers are very good - do you have access to those? I would guess that the KEF R2c is good too.
Got Kef over here, one I’ve been looking at this afternoon is the Paradigm 600c it’s large similar size to the Goldenear reference, it seems well liked aswell.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I'm rocking a 600C in my main room and am quite happy with it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Ultra center is a very good center, and will actually be timbre matched with your mains. That's what I'd do...

M

Mike1963

Audiophyte
Yes in two or three weeks when our shops open I should be able to get hold of one to try.

M

Mike1963

Audiophyte
Yes in two or three weeks when our shops open I should be able to get hold of one to try.
What are everybody’s thoughts on the DefTec cs9080
looks a good centre with a bit of added base if you need it . Good with vocals apparently.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Got Kef over here, one I’ve been looking at this afternoon is the Paradigm 600c it’s large similar size to the Goldenear reference, it seems well liked aswell.
I would strongly recommend the KEF R2c. A coaxial design has a massive advantage over other designs for a center. The crossovers are well chosen at 400 Hz and 2.9 KHz. So the coaxial cone is covering the majority of the speech discrimination band. When it comes to centers you really need a full ranger, and there are not many of those, a coaxial, or a three way with the mid covering the speech discrimination band. Really nothing else works well for center channel use.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis