Centre speaker cabinets

J

jamieh1200

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>hi,

i was just wondering why the centre speakers use 2 woofers and a single tweeter, where as all other cabinets use a single LF chasis and a single tweetr. Isthis purly to handle power more efficiently or does it sonicly sound and provide better intelligabilty, or is it to do with the polar pattern required to cover the sweet spot and outside listening areas

cheers

jamie</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>It's mostly that last one, the wider polar dispersion theory. &nbsp;It's also cosmetic, a horizontal speaker rest atop or sits below a tv with more ease and stability.</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
jamieh1200 : <font color='#000000'>hi,

i was just wondering why the centre speakers use 2 woofers and a single tweeter, where as all other cabinets use a single LF chasis and a single tweetr. Isthis purly to handle power more efficiently or does it sonicly sound and provide better intelligabilty, or is it to do with the polar pattern required to cover the sweet spot and outside listening areas

cheers

jamie</font>
<font color='#000000'>The two woofers on either side form an array with the tweeter that produces a more uniform dispursion, but it only has an effect in the crossover region. &nbsp;There is also a perception among loudspeaker designers that symetrical speakers sell better, and get better reviews. &nbsp;THAT is really why you see them so often.

Chuck</font>

<font color='#008080'>I have always enjoyed center channels with wide &quot;sweet spots&quot;. If only all center channels didn't completely phase shift when you reach over to get a chip!</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>The horizontal MTM layout is mostly for aethetic reasons, although having the extra driver does help out with extra SPL capability. &nbsp;Comb filtering, unfortunately, is a big problem in designs where both mid's cover the same freq range.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>You know, I read somewhere that originally a 2-way speaker with a single woofer and a single tweeter was used be cause of wider imaging.  I used to have mine set up vertically with the tweeter on top and woofer on bottom but because how high up campared to my l/r ch i had to lay it down.  You can set up the speaker vertically, this way the up and down waves match that of l/r channels, and the center will sound wider.  this is because the woofers cancel out the tweeter dispertion when setup horizontally

Bob ;)~</font>

<font color='#008080'>Many center channel speakers, by the way, cross over their dual woofers differently, so that one is a mid-bass and one is a bass. My old B&amp;W CC6 Series 2 was like that. Same speaker, different focus, providing a more focused response for that frequency range by the driver (each driver has less work to do, thus each driver does it's job more efficiently).</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis