Center Channel Quit Working -- Not Speaker -- Pioneer VSX-516 - Boston CRC7 & CR7 Speakers

W

wwboy

Audiophyte
This is my first post and I'd be grateful for any help with my quandary.

I've had a Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver for 7-8 years now and I've had a pair of Boston CR77 Bookshelf speakers and a powered subwoofer forever with it. It's been super. This Christmas, I upgraded my subwoofer to a new polk powered sub and added a used CRC7 Boston center channel speaker from the same line as my bookshelf's.

All the specs fit within the handling of the amps specifications as far as I could tell and when I hooked everything up and ran through the setup on the amp as per the manual, the center channel worked flawlessly with my bookshelf's.

Fastfoward three months to today. No sound from center channel. Nothing at all.
No matter what the setting I change on the receiver. Nothing.

If I go through the speaker test settings (where it cycles through each configured channel and gives static allowing you to set individual levels for each channel) -- the right and left and sub give full volume static -- and the center gives very faint low volume static. If I crank the gain on that center channel all the way up, it is hearable at least, but then when I go back to music or anything, nothing comes out of the speaker.

When I attach the center channel speaker to the left or right output, replacing one of the bookshelf speakers, it works fine.

Is something in my amp fried?
Is it fixable?
Is it worth having the local electronics guy look at for $25?
Am I overlooking something?

Thanks for any help!!

-Back in Stereo

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This is my first post and I'd be grateful for any help with my quandary.

I've had a Pioneer VSX-516 Receiver for 7-8 years now and I've had a pair of Boston CR77 Bookshelf speakers and a powered subwoofer forever with it. It's been super. This Christmas, I upgraded my subwoofer to a new polk powered sub and added a used CRC7 Boston center channel speaker from the same line as my bookshelf's.

All the specs fit within the handling of the amps specifications as far as I could tell and when I hooked everything up and ran through the setup on the amp as per the manual, the center channel worked flawlessly with my bookshelf's.

Fastfoward three months to today. No sound from center channel. Nothing at all.
No matter what the setting I change on the receiver. Nothing.

If I go through the speaker test settings (where it cycles through each configured channel and gives static allowing you to set individual levels for each channel) -- the right and left and sub give full volume static -- and the center gives very faint low volume static. If I crank the gain on that center channel all the way up, it is hearable at least, but then when I go back to music or anything, nothing comes out of the speaker.

When I attach the center channel speaker to the left or right output, replacing one of the bookshelf speakers, it works fine.

Is something in my amp fried?
Is it fixable?
Is it worth having the local electronics guy look at for $25?
Am I overlooking something?

Thanks for any help!!

-Back in Stereo
Do a factory reset back to default. I suspect that the center channel of the receiver is fried. If a reset does not solve and there is no problem with the speaker wiring, it is new receiver time. At the age of that receiver it is not worth fixing.

W

wwboy

Audiophyte
Thanks much for the help.
I'll try that out asap.

Does this quality of amplifier just quit working after a certain period of time? (i.e. is this normal behavior for an inexpensive [or Any?] piece of stereo equipment?) Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks much for the help.
I'll try that out asap.

Does this quality of amplifier just quit working after a certain period of time? (i.e. is this normal behavior for an inexpensive [or Any?] piece of stereo equipment?) Thanks!
Well nothing works for ever. In a way you are asking the wrong guy since I don't use receivers. However it seems a lot of receivers seem to throw in the towel at the 6 to 7 year mark. In fact a lot of the modern cheaper units a lot sooner than that.

I suspect however the receiver did not like the low impedance of the center channel. Most centers have a woofer either side of a tweeter, which makes them four ohm, whatever the manufacturer claims. A lot of receivers object to four ohm loads. This is just one of many issues that makes me personally avoid the breed. I expect stability under all loads, but then I'm prepared to pay the piper.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis