Center channel placement options?

P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
I'm trying to figure out the best option for my center channel and am hoping someone has some good ideas. My tv (Panasonic Z series that I picked up for an incredible deal) is sitting on an older entertainment center that I refinished a few years back. My center channel is about 7" tall and cant fit in the slot under the TV. I could mount a shelf right above the TV, but then its way above listening level. Right now I have it sitting on a shelf under the TV that slides out, so that the speaker face is above 12" in front of the TV screen... not ideal. So far this is what I have com up with for options:

1. Get a wall mount and lift the TV a little higher, set the speaker on top of the entertainment center right under the TV). I'd like to keep from raising the TV any higher than I have to, and dont really want to go the wall mount route unless I have to.

2. Get a whole new entertainment center that will fit my 60" TV, with a spot for a center right beneath it, as well as room for my other devices. The one problem I see with this option is it's going to be hard to find on that will allow the face of the speaker to be even with the front of the TV (the TV sits back a ways on the stand, the speaker will have to be set back inside of the slot to keep them even).

3. Build a shelf above the TV. This raises the center a ways above listening level.

Any other good ideas?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Speaker does not need to be even with the TV. It should be flush with what it is mounted on, if not slightly sticking out, to prevent reflections. Above the TV isn't too big of a deal as long as you angle it down toward the listening position, but still not ideal.

I would go with option #1. That's how I have mine.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
how high is the current entertainment center? any pic's? I'd go option 1, sight unseen.

P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
The top of the entertainment center is 28", bottom of tv is 32", top of tv is 64". Ill try to get a pic later if that will help. Thanks for all the help so far, my wife is thinking we need to mount it to the wall... sounds like I may have to go with that option unless I find something else better

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I could mount a shelf right above the TV, but then its way above listening level.
Mine is above the TV, "way above listening level".

I have no complaints, and think it sounds great. Voices for TV/Movies sound like they're coming out of the TV. I have never thought it seemed odd or misplaced.

Since this pic, I did angle the center down a little more, so more directly pointed at our chairs. But if this is one of your easier options, I wouldn't worry about it for a minute.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As usual your wife is right! Wall mounting flat panel TVs is the best and safest option. There are a significant number of serious injuries annually from not wall mounting TVs.

CEDIA are correct in that the optimal height for comfortable TV watching is to have the bottom of the TV around 30" from the floor.

So that means we all face your dilemma, unless we have an acoustically transparent projector screen. So for those of us using panel TVs it forces a compromise.

Now the optimal height for a tweeter is around 36" which would put the speaker right over the TV screen.

Putting the speaker below the screen in my view is only viable if the viewing distance is short, and a disaster if there is row seating, as there is poor room coverage. In addition it exacerbates floor reflections contributing to poor dialog intelligibility.

So that leaves the option of going above the TV, which in practice is most often the best solution.

This is my solution, bottom of TV is 27" from the floor. Top of TV is 61".

Tweeter height of mains is 39" and the tweeter height of the center is 67". The front baffle of the center is directed down to the seating area.

In practice this works very well. Dialog localizes well to the screen and there is no hint that the tweeter axis is above the screen. Dialog is natural and intelligible at all listening positions.

P

Peterwinkle

Enthusiast
As usual your wife is right! Wall mounting flat panel TVs is the best and safest option. There are a significant number of serious injuries annually from not wall mounting TVs.

CEDIA are correct in that the optimal height for comfortable TV watching is to have the bottom of the TV around 30" from the floor.

So that means we all face your dilemma, unless we have an acoustically transparent projector screen. So for those of us using panel TVs it forces a compromise.

Now the optimal height for a tweeter is around 36" which would put the speaker right over the TV screen.

Putting the speaker below the screen in my view is only viable if the viewing distance is short, and a disaster if there is row seating, as there is poor room coverage. In addition it exacerbates floor reflections contributing to poor dialog intelligibility.

So that leaves the option of going above the TV, which in practice is most often the best solution.

This is my solution, bottom of TV is 27" from the floor. Top of TV is 61".

Tweeter height of mains is 39" and the tweeter height of the center is 67". The front baffle of the center is directed down to the seating area.

In practice this works very well. Dialog localizes well to the screen and there is no hint that the tweeter axis is above the screen. Dialog is natural and intelligible at all listening positions.
That was a very informative post, thanks. I stumbled upon your AV room about a month ago and was admiring, that is some impressive work.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That was a very informative post, thanks. I stumbled upon your AV room about a month ago and was admiring, that is some impressive work.
I'm glad you found the post helpful and thank you for your kind comments.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis