ceiling speaker installation

D

daved

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am in the early stages of planning my surround installation in my masterbedroom which is already prewired. &nbsp;With a ceiling installation for my two rear speakers, how would one deal with loose fill insulation in the attic? &nbsp;

MTX makes a speaker that is already enclosed. &nbsp;Absent this, it seems that one would need to install some sort of cavity behind the speaker.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.</font>

<font color='#000080'>I would definitely consider creating a small protective box around the speaker to keep out the insulation and general grime that woudl otherwise mess up your speaker box over time. Purely cosmetic reason, though, since your speakers are already boxed. &nbsp;One thing to note, though, is that the speakers you are ceiling mounting probably weren't designed for such an installation, or were they?

In a sense, you may just be doing an inversion of the Dolby labs up-firing scheme for limited placement situations.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&amp;User_ID=16613657&amp;St=2883&amp;St2=-43489479&amp;St3=-42180071&amp;DS_ID=3&amp;Product_ID=5847&amp;DID=7

Check this stuff out, &nbsp;just search PE for foam baffle</font>

D

daved

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Hawke, I may have misled you. &nbsp;The speakers I plan to install(probably Cambridge or Boston Acoustics) are not enclosed and are designed for ceiling installation. &nbsp;In-ceiling speakers generally include a speaker and grill for a flush mounting. &nbsp;The problem presented is not an issue on the first floor of my home as there is no insulation between floors, so there is an empty cavity above the ceiling installation. &nbsp;My concern is two fold: &nbsp;how to get the best sound and not let attic material get in the back of the speaker.

The option presented by audiouser looks pretty good as it is simple and requires little work (and inexpensive). &nbsp;As long as you don't think this would adversely impact the sound, I am leaning in this direction as opposed to constructing an enclosure to sit on top of the speaker, between the ceiling joists.

Thanks for both responses. &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I'll say that I have not ever used the foam baffle product &quot;yet&quot;. &nbsp;I am doing a main level installs for the wife in the kictchen/bedroom/bathroom. &nbsp;I do plan to use the foam baffles when I do. &nbsp;I don't really have a choice as my attic has blown insulation and not foam batts. &nbsp;I also plan to cut up some MDF mounts to tie into the joists.

The worst case is it will up the Q of the speaker and give it a little extra puch in the mid bass and roll the lows off a bit faster.</font>

D

daved

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I think I will try the baffle first as the cost is minor and the install looks pretty staight forward. &nbsp;If we do not like the sound, will have to move to Plan B.

I appreciate your thoughts.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis