R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
just a quick comparative question here. I have a yamaha receiver ( im unsure of the model # right now,but its from the htr 5800 line ) and a yamaha dvd player. The yamaha dvd player has the option of cd upsampling , but it will only apply if i use the analog outs on it. Other than the obvious listening test,is it advisable to listen to 2ch. music utilizing the analog outs with the upsampling applied,or....should i just use the optical outs and leave the receiver to do any conversions necessary. thanks for any input regarding this !!!

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
I forgot to mention one thing....currently,i have it set up in both manners. I use the optical out when im playing a dvd and utilizing the home theater aspects of it. i'm using the analog outs with the cd upsampling applied when im listening to 2ch music.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Seriously, it doesn't matter. Listen to both and decide what you like best. If you use digital for everything, it does simplify your cabling.

R

RhapsodyInBlack

Junior Audioholic
thanks for the quick input. I haven't been able to notice much of a difference between playing an upsampled cd via analog vs a standard cd played via digital. I was just pondering the question because a bulk of my cd's are hardly audiophile quality,and i wasnt sure if maybe the difference couldnt be heard because of the poor quality recording/mastering. The important thing is that RUSH sounds most excellent regardless of the signal path.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Depends on the DACs

If the DACs are better in your player, then it should sound better via analog, regardless of upsampling. You say it does not, so I would just leave it with digital.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
RhapsodyInBlack said:
thanks for the quick input. I haven't been able to notice much of a difference between playing an upsampled cd via analog vs a standard cd played via digital. I was just pondering the question because a bulk of my cd's are hardly audiophile quality,and i wasnt sure if maybe the difference couldnt be heard because of the poor quality recording/mastering. The important thing is that RUSH sounds most excellent regardless of the signal path.

Upsampling is a marketeering gimmick. CD players already oversample from early on. Forget it. Spend your time listening and enjoying. :D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Oversampling and upsampling are two completely different things.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis