CD ripper/storage/player options

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
So, I'm cursed. Both my old POS laptop "music server" and retro CD player being used as a DAC took shits simultaneously. The laptop took a couple thousand ripped discs with it (I still have the shiny discs in storage).

Is there anything out there similar to a Bluesound node or the Brennan jukeboxes that doesn't cost a fortune?

Needs/wants:
Ripper
Player
Storage, but doesn't need to be networked
Analog output (to accommodate rigs with retro front ends)

Prefer to stay away from an overcomplexified hodge podge of devices (separate CD drive/DAC/NAS).

Any one box solutions to this out there?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No backups? Whut? My preferred method is to continue to use my laptops to rip but have multiple backup drives so I don't have to spend that time again. I've not shopped for another drive to rip with in a while, still even have one I took out of a laptop that died for other reasons.

ps fwiw for discs that are a pain to rip (bluray, multich sacd) I just keep using stand alone players and keep those optical discs on the shelves instead of in binders as backup. Good luck in finding what you want. Seems many like the convenience of the Bluesound gear....

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Yeah, no backups, aside from some thumb drives. Yeah, serves me right for being lazy. Fortunately, external CD/DVD drives are pretty cheap, so I'll probably go that route and use this laptop, which has more memory and no spinning hard drive to break down.

Mono-block, I plan to use EAC unless there is a compelling reason to use ANY BURN, but I appreciate the suggestion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
At least you have some thumb drives?! I have several of those in addition to dual hard drive backups....and dual laptops. EAC has been my go to since I started ripping. I got a usb adapter for an old laptop's drive particularly (bluray capable unlike many newer laptops)....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, no backups, aside from some thumb drives. Yeah, serves me right for being lazy. Fortunately, external CD/DVD drives are pretty cheap, so I'll probably go that route and use this laptop, which has more memory and no spinning hard drive to break down.

Mono-block, I plan to use EAC unless there is a compelling reason to use ANY BURN, but I appreciate the suggestion.
Besides Bluesound, a forum member did a review on the CocktailAudio X45.

I still use EAC. Only software I know of that checks for accuracy of your rips.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

The Cocktail piece is even more expensive than the Bluesound vaults!! Thanks, all the same.

El cheapo hp CD drive on the way. El cheapo Panasonic br player unphased by scratched up silver discs this holiday morning. Playing DJ will be more of a hassle today, but we have music.

Hope everyone feels thankful, loved, and full (satiated with good food and music) today!!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Samurai
The Cocktail piece is even more expensive than the Bluesound vaults!! Thanks, all the same.

El cheapo hp CD drive on the way. El cheapo Panasonic br player unphased by scratched up silver discs this holiday morning. Playing DJ will be more of a hassle today, but we have music.

Hope everyone feels thankful, loved, and full (satiated with good food and music) today!!
I would add an el-cheapo external backup hard drive to back up your rips this time. ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis