CD players vs high end CD players

Revelation

Revelation

Audioholic Intern
I purchased a Denon DN-300Z CD player which has a built in tuner, and Bluetooth. It cost around $425. I am wondering has anyone compared CD players and found if higher end ones like a Marantz CD6007 , ND8006, or Denon 6006 NE make a difference in quality in sound that we can really hear? Or is it more in the features that they cost more?

B

Bernie Williams

Audioholic Intern
I have a thirty year old technics sl-ps900 cd player and an oppo 203 DVD/CD player. no difference between the two to my ears.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Warlord
People who are into DAC "specialness" will buy Transports... a CD player where the internal DAC can be bypassed (effectively just a glorified Disc reader).
These tend to cost more for a few reasons, but chief among them would be economy of scale: there simply isn't as big a market for such a niche product, so fewer are built, thus unit cost is higher.

I use my Sony X700 for my Disc needs. Quite content with that for now. ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like it's a decent limited cd player altho I find it weird to pair it with an am/fm tuner, and bluetooth but no wifi .....wouldn't have any use for the tuner/bt myself. I'd rather use a good universal player so I can play multich discs in SACD, dvd, dvd-a, bluray and other optical formats.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
My means to CD pleasure: Sony DVP-S9000ES, OPPO-205, Sony CDP-C601ES, and Sony UBP-X800M2. All but the Sony UBP-X800M2 have internal DACs. I doubt I could discern the sound signature from any as being divergent from another, yet I seem to go to the Sony CDP-C601ES for CD play more than the others since I perceive its sound is less edgy than my other means to CD entertainment. At any rate, these days, lossless streaming from Apple Music to my Parasound P6's DAC via usb connection seems to sound best, although, if it were not for distracting pops and ticks I would enjoy vinyl more than other means to recorded music, from my Technics SL-1210GR Turntable fitted with a Shure V15 Type III/Jico SAS-B Cartridge.

highfigh

highfigh

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like it's a decent limited cd player altho I find it weird to pair it with an am/fm tuner, and bluetooth but no wifi .....wouldn't have any use for the tuner/bt myself. I'd rather use a good universal player so I can play multich discs in SACD, dvd, dvd-a, bluray and other optical formats.
It's not actually designed for residential use, more for restaurants, bars and other commercial/PA applications. That's also the reason it's not multi-channel- those applications don't need it although I have to wonder why it doesn't have a network card and can't stream, since those don't use much internal space.

mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Audioholic
[

I find it weird to pair it with an am/fm tuner, and bluetooth
The answer is quite simple. McIntosh Labs are not fools, They do considerable market research before introducing a new model, And strangle enough the American market is not the main buyer of High End. The North African and Middle East, together with Indonesia and Hong Kong are massive buyers of the Ultra High End. High End retailers the like of "The Sound Chamber" [Hong Kong} and Extreme Audio [Turkey] have multi display rooms with million dollar plus systems on display. There was a story about a speaker buyer, who wanted the speakers in a special color, Add a 100 grand to the price.

Really compared to these places the American market is considerable small , Just how many Ultra high end outlets are there is the USA .I only know of a couple. Further to that how many members on here have a 50 grand amplification system or have spend in excess of 20 grand on speakers. And I'm not putting anyone down, but that's the way it is. We in OZ have two high end retailers "Audio Connection" {Sydney] and "Class A Audio" [ Melbourne] And in both cases the doors stay open due to cheaper lines subsidizing the High End lines..

People these days, simple don't have money to spare, of such luxuries, The money's stretched on food and rent's, and the young people have even less. So there HiFi is restricted to Ear Buds and MP3 players. It's a Judge Judy world for Jo Average Of the Have's and Have Not's. And the Have Nots are way in front.

Last edited:
mono-bloc

mono-bloc

Audioholic
As for High End CD players consider Gryphon Ethos, or a DCS Vivaldi Stack

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
If it's high end you gotta call it a "transport" to be cool.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis