CD player vs Blu Ray ( for CD) vs avr

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Since there is no CD player section figured I'd try here. Ok so I'm curious on CD's and which device is the best to use for the best sound. I have a 4400 coming today and my current setup will be overhauled this weekend. Currently I have a onkyo tx sr503 that is 15+ yrs old with only RCA, optical and coaxial inputs. I also have a Sony cdp 315ce player and a Sony bdp s6700 Blu Ray player. The CD player is hooked thru RCA's to the avr and the Blu-ray has the HDMI to the tv ad optical out to the avr as well as coaxial from the Blu Ray to the avr. My question is this. With the Denon coming which way would I get better sound quality
1. Still use the Sony CD player thru RCA to the Denon
2. Use the Blu Ray player to the Denon with HDMI
3. Use the Blu Ray player with coaxial to the Denon
I know hooked up certain ways the day from the avr vs the Blu-ray/ CD player will be used. Curious if you guys have a dedicated CD player or use the Blu Ray. Again my CD player is from 1999 so not sure if that plays into anything

thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
With the 32-bit AKM DAC built into your new Denon receiver, I believe choice #2 is the way to go. The Sony Blu-ray player will be used as a transport in this set up, so you'll get to take advantage of the receiver's DAC. It doesn't make sense to use a coaxial hook up to the Denon since you're going to need an HDMI hook up to take advantage of multi-channel encoding on the blu-ray player. HDMI from the blu-ray to the receiver, HDMI from the receiver to the TV. However, if you want to still be able to enjoy loading 5 discs up into the old Sony CD changer, you can still have that via RCA, but I do not believe you would be getting sound at the level that the blu-ray and DAC's in the receiver would give you.

In my home theater/stereo in my living room I have an Oppo 103D blu-ray player (2 HDMI's out). I use one HDMI to my Anthem receiver and the other HDMI to my TV. But when I want to listen more critically to my music, I listen to my desk top system in my office. I use a Cyrus CD t transport with a coaxial cable to a Marantz HD DAC-1 headphone amp/DAC and a pair of Beyerdynamic T 1 headphones. This system has higher grade power conditioning and cables (power, coaxial, USB).

Enjoy your new Denon receiver! :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Since there is no CD player section figured I'd try here. Ok so I'm curious on CD's and which device is the best to use for the best sound. I have a 4400 coming today and my current setup will be overhauled this weekend. Currently I have a onkyo tx sr503 that is 15+ yrs old with only RCA, optical and coaxial inputs. I also have a Sony cdp 315ce player and a Sony bdp s6700 Blu Ray player. The CD player is hooked thru RCA's to the avr and the Blu-ray has the HDMI to the tv ad optical out to the avr as well as coaxial from the Blu Ray to the avr. My question is this. With the Denon coming which way would I get better sound quality
1. Still use the Sony CD player thru RCA to the Denon
2. Use the Blu Ray player to the Denon with HDMI
3. Use the Blu Ray player with coaxial to the Denon
I know hooked up certain ways the day from the avr vs the Blu-ray/ CD player will be used. Curious if you guys have a dedicated CD player or use the Blu Ray. Again my CD player is from 1999 so not sure if that plays into anything

thanks

If you still want to use the cdp 315 you have no choice but to use the RCA because it does not have digital outputs. You are going to get better performance using the blu ray player for everything but as Joe suggested, it is better to use HDMI.

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
use one HDMI to my Anthem receiver and the other HDMI to my TV.
Just curious, why do you two hdmi outs? Do you find the AVR adjusts the audio/ video quality?

Also how do you like the 103D? Any complaints?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
With the 32-bit AKM DAC built into your new Denon receiver, I believe choice #2 is the way to go. The Sony Blu-ray player will be used as a transport in this set up, so you'll get to take advantage of the receiver's DAC. It doesn't make sense to use a coaxial hook up to the Denon since you're going to need an HDMI hook up to take advantage of multi-channel encoding on the blu-ray player. HDMI from the blu-ray to the receiver, HDMI from the receiver to the TV. However, if you want to still be able to enjoy loading 5 discs up into the old Sony CD changer, you can still have that via RCA, but I do not believe you would be getting sound at the level that the blu-ray and DAC's in the receiver would give you.

In my home theater/stereo in my living room I have an Oppo 103D blu-ray player (2 HDMI's out). I use one HDMI to my Anthem receiver and the other HDMI to my TV. But when I want to listen more critically to my music, I listen to my desk top system in my office. I use a Cyrus CD t transport with a coaxial cable to a Marantz HD DAC-1 headphone amp/DAC and a pair of Beyerdynamic T 1 headphones. This system has higher grade power conditioning and cables (power, coaxial, USB).

Enjoy your new Denon receiver! :)
Won't IEC 958 output multi-channel, except SACD?

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Ok like Joe stated I'm looking for the best sound of the CD. Once the Denon is here I will route bluray- hdmi- avr- hdmi-tv so I can get 7.1 for movies.
That's the other thing I didn't know is which device avr, Blu-ray, CD player which dac gets used. I assume the Denon has the best and most up to date and that's what I was curious on is getting the best sound possible. If I can/ have to get rid of the Sony 315 , no problems, more space.
So if I use the Blu Ray for CD music, just have it go thru the HDMI as well, no coaxial needed..?....that will be the best sound?
I do notice that if I have CD that has some scratches the Sony BD will play right thru while the Sony CD player will skip more easily.
I was just being nostalgic hooking up a 20+ year old CD player to my system but top sound is the key goal lol
Thanks all

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Just curious, why do you two hdmi outs? Do you find the AVR adjusts the audio/ video quality?

Also how do you like the 103D? Any complaints?
More than anything else, because they're there. One HDMI out carries the video and audio (goes to display). The other HDMI carries audio only (to the AVR). I use the video processing of the Oppo and send it directly to the display. I didn't want anything in/through the AVR to effect it. Similar thinking with the audio directly to the AVR. It could be done differently. I could have gone Oppo to AVR and AVR out to display. Either way it's 2 cables.

As to the 103D.....I love it. I've had no problems except I needed to clean the lens once since I've had it (very easy to do). The Darby chip set does an excellent job on the video. I have it set at 35% which enhances the picture but isn't even close to leaving any artifacts. I output all signals upscaled to 4K to my 4K display. I'm amazed at how DVD's look. This gave new life to my DVD collection and got me into blu-ray. I'm completely content with it. Playback of SACD via multi--channel PCM to the AVR works great. And its very convenient for me to use one of the front USB ports with a flash drive when I want to listen to hi-res FLAC files (I have no desire to hook the system up to my network at home....I primarily use CD and SACD, only FLAC files for things not available on disc).

J

Jeff5347

Audioholic
Forgot to add. What determines which dac is used? Is the way each device is connected. That's what has stumped me on which device takes control in dac use

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Forgot to add. What determines which dac is used? Is the way each device is connected. That's what has stumped me on which device takes control in dac use

If you're using HDMI, you are sending the digital directly to the AVR.....no DAC conversion happening in the BP. The same thing goes if you use digital coaxial or optical as well.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
In our best system in the living room, I use a Sony Blu-ray player for CD's. I go HDMI out into the TV for video and audio. I also go coaxial audio out into the Yamaha AVR. That way I can play a CD without using the TV. Peace and goodwill.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In our best system in the living room, I use a Sony Blu-ray player for CD's. I go HDMI out into the TV for video and audio. I also go coaxial audio out into the Yamaha AVR. That way I can play a CD without using the TV. Peace and goodwill.
Why not just connect to the avr? You still use audio from the tv?

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I used to have everything connected to the Yamaha AVR, but my wife could not deal with it. So now everything goes to the TV, and I use the TV optical audio output to go into the AVR. It still sounds good and is easier for my better half to operate. Peace and goodwill.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I used to have everything connected to the Yamaha AVR, but my wife could not deal with it. So now everything goes to the TV, and I use the TV optical audio output to go into the AVR. It still sounds good and is easier for my better half to operate. Peace and goodwill.
Ya I hear that. My bridge to that was to do a TiVo (it was a pain to setup with Comcast but TiVo remote volume goes to my Yamaha 2060 and it sits directly on another tv hdmi port since the TiVo ignores CEC). Once she got used to it, I put TiVo minis and Yamaha AVRs in the other 2 rooms. All 3 rooms have Sony Blu-ray players so identical all round. I recently tried to get her to use Apple 4K TV, but she hates that one. LOL. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis