CATV coax for digital audio

A

avsolution

Audiophyte
Is it possibly to use and get good results using regular cable, e.g. Belden Series 6, for digital audio and video feeds? Could the cable be terminated with RCA ends instead of F-type connectors? If it works to bring HDTV signals into a sat. receiver, can it be used to send signals to powered subs, interconnects for DVD Audio and even component video? Is the length of runs limited?

I have been searching for a while for an answer to my question. Along the way, however, I have read an enormus amount of info on this site. From DIY cables to the articles on "snake oil" and a lot in between. Great site.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
avsolution said:
Is it possibly to use and get good results using regular cable, e.g. Belden Series 6, for digital audio and video feeds? Could the cable be terminated with RCA ends instead of F-type connectors? If it works to bring HDTV signals into a sat. receiver, can it be used to send signals to powered subs, interconnects for DVD Audio and even component video? Is the length of runs limited?

I have been searching for a while for an answer to my question. Along the way, however, I have read an enormus amount of info on this site. From DIY cables to the articles on "snake oil" and a lot in between. Great site.

Yes, you can use those CATV cables in all your audio interconnect applications. Length is not a problem to 25 ft in video but longer may need the RG6 type.
If you can get premade F-type cables, use adaptors to RCA, not a problem. May be simpler than termination it with RCA connector in the first place?

A

avsolution

Audiophyte
So all of my interconnects can be made with plain old CATV cable.
I did a lot of prewiring & bought a 500' spool of Genesis RG6 for sat feeds only for receivers & between TV's and also bought a 500' spool of Liberty HDTV Serial Digital coax for component video & digital audio.

I ran out of the Liberty cable but still have some RCA connectors. I see your caution regarding the "regular" coax for longer runs of video, but digital audio is not a problem?
I could have used regular cable in all the places that I used the higher dollar Liberty for all of the audio?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are places online that sell RCA type ends that can go onto cables. I am using a lot of 26AWG coax cable throughout my home for video feeds. Actually, the demand for HDTV and HI-RES computer is not as tough as the modulated original cable feed and you are typically good for about 100 feet of video before amplification is really going to be necessary or using RG-6 is warranted.

75 ohm cable is the big deal for carrying a lot of A/V signals, and almost all coax is designed around that spec. Custom lengths can be used for audio and video interconnects, for LFE output to a sub, for video feeds to a plasma... it's the way a 'pro-grade' system is wired quite often.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Composite video cables, which are 75 ohm, are substituted for digital coax quite frequently. The problem with typical CATV coax though, is usually the flexibilty of the cable, since it has a solid core. This can make it a pain to use in the manner you speak of but should work fine if that isn't really a concern for you.

Go here and look under the SPDIF heading for more information.

J

jjacob1

Audiophyte
RG6 quad shield help

I'd like to use quad shield RG6 to create component video cables w/ RCA ends. Is this a good idea for pic quality? Where can I get the RCA compression ends? I'm not worried about cable stiffness

A

avsolution

Audiophyte
I am not really sure myself. I did get some further explanation regarding the use of regular coax. The plain jane stuff has copper coating over a steel inner conductor that may not work as well for longer runs, as opposed to an fully copper inner conductor.

I guess that one may have to get into a little better cable to provide solid results. I would like to know, however, if Home Depot or those type stores carry a better cable without having to buy a lot for a better price per foot.

W

woodman

Enthusiast
jjacob1 said:
I'd like to use quad shield RG6 to create component video cables w/ RCA ends. Is this a good idea for pic quality? Where can I get the RCA compression ends? I'm not worried about cable stiffness
Do you know for a fact that you really need "quad-shield" cable? If you don't, I highly recommend that you avoid it like the plague! It is very difficult to work with (stripping, applying connectors,etc.) - especially for someone who hasn't much experience in these areas.

If you do believe that your environment is so contaminated with RFI, EMI, and such that you really need the most shielding you can get, then I'd try to find some assembled lengths (with "F" connectors attached) and then get some "F to RCA" adapters to convert them into what you need.

Hope this helps you

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

avsolution said:
So all of my interconnects can be made with plain old CATV cable.
I did a lot of prewiring & bought a 500' spool of Genesis RG6 for sat feeds only for receivers & between TV's and also bought a 500' spool of Liberty HDTV Serial Digital coax for component video & digital audio.

I ran out of the Liberty cable but still have some RCA connectors. I see your caution regarding the "regular" coax for longer runs of video, but digital audio is not a problem?
I could have used regular cable in all the places that I used the higher dollar Liberty for all of the audio?
No, digital is not a problem but how far are you sending the signal?
Regular RG59 might loose more signal over long runs that should not be encountered in homes. In video a signal loss of 1dB is noticable, or can be.

A

avsolution

Audiophyte
The maximum length of any coax runs would be 60 - 70 feet. This would include digital audio & video.
I would like to use some cable like Belden 1694 if I can find something with very similar specs for cheaper.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

avsolution said:
The maximum length of any coax runs would be 60 - 70 feet. This would include digital audio & video.
I would like to use some cable like Belden 1694 if I can find something with very similar specs for cheaper.

Check the specs on that cable for signal loss over x distance. You should look for cables that has less than 1dB signal loss at your distance.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis