Castle Sterling lll refurb

1916Leon

1916Leon

Audiophyte
Hi
I'm looking for some information or even diagrams regarding the construction of the Sterling lll enclosures .
I recently purchased a pair that were seriously damaged in a flood and i need to make new enclosures .
The drivers and crossovers survived , but , the bottom of the enclosures is completely gone as are the plinths.
Can anyone help ?
Thank you in advance

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi
I'm looking for some information or even diagrams regarding the construction of the Sterling lll enclosures .
I recently purchased a pair that were seriously damaged in a flood and i need to make new enclosures .
The drivers and crossovers survived , but , the bottom of the enclosures is completely gone as are the plinths.
Can anyone help ?
Thank you in advance
If the drivers went though a flood and had water in the VCs, they are no good and those speakers are trash.

1916Leon

1916Leon

Audiophyte
The only damage is to the enclosures and plinths , the drivers are perfectly fine

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The only damage is to the enclosures and plinths , the drivers are perfectly fine
Those speakers are QB4 MTM 2 way speakers.

So, if you make the speaker the same internal volume as those enclosures, and brace the enclosure, figure of 8 braces are best, and use identical ports then the speakers will be good as new.

These are the external dimensions: - 870 200 240 mm

Last edited:
1916Leon

1916Leon

Audiophyte
Thank you , have you any idea what the dimensions of the port should be ? the bottom of the boxes have completely gone as are the plinths.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you , have you any idea what the dimensions of the port should be ? the bottom of the boxes have completely gone as are the plinths.
No, I don't, and that is crucial. Even a small error in the port dimensions will stop the speaker working properly.
The only way to solve this is to get the equipment to measure the Thiele/Small parameters of one of the bass drivers. Then I could run a model for you, to calculate the port correctly. So somehow you are going to have to get those parameters unless you can find that data.

Do you know if Castle made those drivers, or is there a manufacturers name on them? If so the T/S parameters of those drivers might be published.

1916Leon

1916Leon

Audiophyte
Sorry you have gone beyond my understanding there .
I can tell you that the drivers were made in house by Castle , but , I have been unable to find anything online , I have emailed them , but , as yet I have had no reply

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Sorry you have gone beyond my understanding there .
I can tell you that the drivers were made in house by Castle , but , I have been unable to find anything online , I have emailed them , but , as yet I have had no reply
Before you can proceed we need either the port dimensions, or the Thiele/Small parameters of the woofers. One, other or both are essential to restoring those speakers.

1916Leon

1916Leon

Audiophyte
Ok , my mission tonight then , is to see if i can find those parameters somewhere , thank you again , i'll let you know how i get on

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ok , my mission tonight then , is to see if i can find those parameters somewhere , thank you again , i'll let you know how i get on
I don't think you will find them. Castle has been owned by IAG of Shenzhen, China for some time. Those 5" carbon fibre drivers are made in their plant in Shenzhen and are the same as in the Quad cone speakers made in the same factory. Those drivers have never been on the OEM or DIY market, so you won't find what you are looking for. I have had a good search. If you want to know, then you will have to get the Dayton woofer tester and measure them yourself.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis