Casette/tape deck recommendations

J

jdh

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I've been out of touch with the A/V world for some time.

I need a new, preferably dual, tape deck in the $150-$250 range (I gues I could go higher for the right product.)

Anyone care to recomend a model, maker, or article?

(The advice I've gotten more than once is to buy a used Nak and have it refurbished.)

JDH

J

jdh

Enthusiast
Since I started this thread, I've learned the following:

- Used is the way to go, as most new tape decks aren't made with much care (dying technology, unless we go uber high-end.)

- A [used] Tascam 122 MkIII, once the standard tape deck in the broadcast and recording industry, can be had for about $225 plus refurbishment. The thing is a no thrills workhorse that offers excellent sound.

- Nakamichis are still in very high demand. Problems here are: very high sales prices; frequent, expensive service; most of them are too old to offer great noise reduction (fact is, I rarely use noise reduction technology, relying on good signal and some eq.)

- Many Nak lovers claimed that high-end models like the 505, 680 and Dragons created recordings of CDs that sounded far better than the CD. From what little experience I have, I tend to believe them.

- Dragon people claim that their recordings only sound great on their Dragon.

- Nakamichi made a name for itself in several ways. One technology they introduced would flip the cassette rather than the play head on autoreverse models, as it was believed that head alignment was far harder to achieve than cassette alignment. (???)

Video of the cassette flip:

http://tinyurl.com/y3uh9s

(Note that the tape goes in upside down.)

- Nak also developed auto Azimuth alignment. (A specific frequency would be recorded on the tape, then analyzed by the through the play head. The unit would then adjust the recording head accordingly. All this in two seconds -- atleast on the 680.)

- For servicing Naks, a CT firm seems to take top honors:

http://tinyurl.com/y5buw9

A flat-fee rebuild costs $200.

That's it. My thanks to those who've read this thread. Any info anyone has to add would be greatly appreciated.

JDH

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
Go with a used Nak. Even a used Nak will sound an order of magnitude better than anything else.
I've got two, a LX-3 and a ZX-7. The noise reduction on them works superbly. I use the tapes they were adjusted for. For the ZX-7 I can adjust it for any tape because of the built in tone generators and adjustments.:D

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Although a bit higher than a garage sale of some ebay auctions...

... you might check out the "used" pages here: http://www.saturdayaudio.com.

You know what you're getting from them and they guarantee what they sell. I've been buying from them since 1998 and never had a problem.

J

jdh

Enthusiast
Thanks, Mark.

I may buy a whole "new" system from these guys!

JDH

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis