Car Subwoofers in Home Audio??

U

Unregistered

I'm needing more base in my home audio system and wondered how I could hook up my car subs to my receiver. I know it can be done without buying a converter and I would like to know how. Thanks

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
First off, if your listening room is the same size as your car's interior then you might be on to something. Generally, listening rooms are much larger so what works great in a car might lack somewhat in a larger environment.

I have no ides what you mean by a converter, but if the sub has no amp, you simply plug it into a speaker output of an amp.

If you are talking about an amp and you think you can just plug a 12 volt amp into 120 vac inside the house, have a fire extinguisher and some marshmallows or hot dogs on sticks ready. Invite friends.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Unregistered said:
I'm needing more base in my home audio system and wondered how I could hook up my car subs to my receiver. I know it can be done without buying a converter and I would like to know how. Thanks
First, let's assume the speaker have appropriate Theile-Small paramters to work well for home use: it is highily doubtful that the car enclosure is adequate to work well in home environment. Car subs are usually tuned to a higher frequency in order to use the small cabin size of car to it's advantage; high cabin gain. So, you need to be prepared to build a new enclosure. Second is amplifiation. You need a powerful, low impedance stabile amplifier to drive the subwoofers properly. A QSC or Behringer pro PA amp should be fine, and can be had for a few hundred:

http://www.music123.com/Behringer-Europower-EP1500-i106768.music

260 x 2 channels RMS @ 8 ohms
400 x 2 channels RMS @ 4 ohms
700 x 2 channels RMS @ 2 ohms

1400 x 1 channel RMS @ 4 ohms(bridged mono)

$300

You may also check out cheaper(but less versatile) plate amps from a site like www.partsexpress.com

-Chris

Last edited:
JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
I use mine!

Unregistered said:

I'm using my old Car sub box for my Home Theater. It is an isobaric box with 2 10" MTX road series Two Subs. I just took the Sub out from my receiver to my Yamaha M-85 to power the subs. It works for now (I'm in an apartment) so it does fill in the lacking low end. But once I get a home I will trade in my Car Sub box for a dedicated Home Theater Sub (I was going to go with the Dayton Audio 12" TITANIC MKIII SUBWOOFER SYSTEM http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-763 )

I hope that helps :)

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Find them at Parts Express

WmAx said:
First, let's assume the speaker have appropriate Theile-Small paramters to work well for home use: it is highily doubtful that the car enclosure is adequate to work well in home environment. Car subs are usually tuned to a higher frequency in order to use the small cabin size of car to it's advantage; high cabin gain. So, you need to be prepared to build a new enclosure. Second is amplifiation. You need a powerful, low impedance stabile amplifier to drive the subwoofers properly. A QSC or Behringer pro PA amp should be fine, and can be had for a few hundred:

http://www.music123.com/Behringer-Europower-EP1500-i106768.music

260 x 2 channels RMS @ 8 ohms
400 x 2 channels RMS @ 4 ohms
700 x 2 channels RMS @ 2 ohms

1400 x 1 channel RMS @ 4 ohms(bridged mono)

$300

You may also check out cheaper(but less versatile) plate amps from a site like www.partsexpress.com

-Chris

You can also find the QSC at www.partsexpress.com

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis