Car Subwoofer Elements and Sealed Boxes

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....you guys who have experience with car stuff....what do I want with the small cannons, 10 inch or 12 inch cones?....I'm thinking about the "voice" of the upper range up to about 200 hz.....

.....WmAx, do you have car experience?....Buck, do you remember when that 10 inch and 12 inch woofer got up high in it's register in a car?....

....I will be about 12-13 feet away from the small cannons, and they will be dual-voice coiled with the voice coils strapped, getting hit with 1250 watts RMS 2 ohm bullet potential....oh, the 10 inch is rated up to 500 watts continuous, and the 12 inch is rated to 600 watts continuous....sealed boxes, somewhere around .75 cubic ft. for for the 10, and 1.0-1.2 cubic ft. for the 12.....which voice will I want at 12-13 feet?....Brian, you need to get in on this.......

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
mulester7 said:
Brian, you need to get in on this.......
Wow, I can't beleive your back on this Ron.:eek:

I thought we covered most of this 2 months ago in that 6 page thread.:confused: :confused:

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Sheep said:
So you want car woofers? Why not just some home ones? You'd have to spend quite a bit to get a car woofer with the clarity your looking for, plus handling all that power.

How about some peerless ;)
http://www.partexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=297-636

SheepStar
....Sheep, here's the two I've narrowed it down to....dual voice-coiled with 4 ohm voice coils....I can strap the voice-coils, and one side of a two channel slave amp will see a 2 ohm load, or, use one voice-coil with a strapped amp for 2 ohm power....Thump City.....

http://www.soundstream.com/sub/products_subs_vang_d.html

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
brian32672 said:
Wow, I can't beleive your back on this Ron.:eek:

I thought we covered most of this 2 months ago in that 6 page thread.:confused: :confused:
.....well, believe it, Brian, I guess.....we covered nothing two months ago but preliminary ideas....surely there's someone here who has extensive experience with car woofers and understands I'm looking for the best voice from 12-13 feet......

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
mulester7 said:
.....well, believe it, Brian, I guess.....we covered nothing two months ago but preliminary ideas....surely there's someone here who has extensive experience with car woofers and understands I'm looking for the best voice from 12-13 feet......
If you desire a highly linear subwoofer driver series(as verified by Vance Dickason in 3rd party analysis/measurements)that is of reasonable cost and has a *unique* ability, please refer to the Infinity Kappa Perfect 12d VQ (12") or Kappa Perfect 10d VQ (10"). The *unique* ability is that one can easily change the physical damping of the driver by changing out a small part in the rear of the motor structure. You could experiment with changing the physical damping of the driver. I presume you will have custom built enclosures for these 'cannons'. If that is the case, have access doors installed in the back of the cabinets so that you can change the part for experimental purposes. While I would modify the damping characteristic of the system through DSP manipulation of frequency response, knowing you, I think that you would find being able to change the physical characteristic of the motor a satisfying experience.

-Chris

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis