Car Audio Upgrade Q&A...

G

gproductions

Audiophyte
I'm a newbie to the sound world but I do appreciate great full sound.

One of my latest thoughts is to upgrade my car audio more (2011 Subaru Legacy) by upgrading from the OEM speakers with 6.5" component speakers in front and 6.5" coaxial connected to a amplifier I could fit under driver seat.

I made some small changes already like upgrading my head unit to a JVC double din (forgot model number) and installing a SoundOrdinance (under the seat subwoofer) that has greatly enhanced the experience.

I have so many questions I don't know where to begin!

What makes a good amplifier?
What makes a good speaker?
What speakerwire will I need?
What amp wiring kit is good?
Will I need a capacitor?
Will I need a sound deadening material on doors like Dynamat or NVX? Does that stuff work or is it just a gimmick?

I figure my budget for parts is $800. This doesn't include installation. Hoping to do at least some install myself to save money.

Any suggestions or comments would really help me. Thanks!

Is this something I can do myself or should I have professionally installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
In order;

A great deal of science and patience

*see above

Depends on the amount of power you are putting through them, don't bother wasting money on 'fancy' ones.

Ask an installer what he would use (I am not well versed in this area)

Very unlikely unless you are doing this for competitions or are trying to make yourself deaf.

Sound deadening materials in a vibrating car... I wouldn't waste the money. Trying to achieve that level of HiFi just isn't going to happen.

Changing out the speakers in your car might not provide you with the gains you are looking for IMO. Any one else that has asked me what to do in car audio I have replied with; A decent sub and maybe a new head unit.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
I hesitated to reply to this thread because there are so many things to cover depending on your level of knowledge with both cars and electrical systems in them. To answer your questions:

1: For your budget stick to amps in the 100-200 dollar range. Stay away from wal-mart brand amps.

2: Speakers are rated by power handling, freq. response just like any speaker. For door speakers, you want a 2-way. In this instance Sony makes great budget friendly speakers.

3: Speaker wire will depend on if you amplify your door speakers. If you just run them off the head unit high level out, factory wire works. For a sub, I recommend 12 gauge. Rocketfish brand is fine.

4: Wire kits can simplify things for install. If your going to have a pro do it, he will deal with that. If your doing it yourself, I would recommend buying wire/cables separately. Mainly because most amp kits do not have large enough gauge wire in them.

5: No you do not need a capacitor. Some of the biggest competition setups don't use capacitors. There's reasons for this. Unless you're going to run 1000w mono's to two 15's, you don't need it. Even then, an alternator with a higher output capacity is what you would need.

6: Sound deadener works, but for what it's intended to do. Most people think dynamat for example, is used to keep things from vibrating. Although it sometimes does this, the mat is used to add mass. This helps keep sound waves from resonating in enclosed compartments such as trunks and doors. For the most part I wouldn't worry about it, again budget.

Each of these areas can be explored in more detail, frankly, it would be a book. The most important element in making car audio sound good, even with budget components, is proper install and wiring. I sent you a p.m. with my contact number if you wish to discuss it further.

Crutchfield offers quality gear on a budget. Check em' out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis