Car Audio Setup to Home Audio Cabinets

H

Helmetface

Audiophyte
Greetings ya'll!

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to post, but figured I'd give it a shot!

I recently removed a 3-way active setup from my vehicle and I'd love some opinions as to whether or not they would work well in my man cave!

While they are nice drivers, I don't need insane fidelity. They will be in my shop and thus, acoustics will be cruddy. At this point, they are just used equipment, sitting in a box. What do I have to lose?

Drivers:

Low - Peerless 830946 SLS 6.5" Woofer - 4 ohm
Mid - Scanspeak Discovery 4" Full Range
High - Vifa NE25VTS-04 1" Silk Dome

Can I combine these all into two cabinets, and get halfway decent sound? I would think I would need to seal off each chamber from one another...and obviously get a lot more into the logistics.

But would these speakers even be a viable option?

With the above setup, I was using a Mosconi 6to8V8 Processor. I don't think that would be of any use to me any longer. I would like need a reciever that could provide adequate power to these drivers?

Anyhow, I'm just starting to look into this option. I would love any help or advice.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The drivers from your car may not make for a good home speaker...and it may be more work than it's worth to find out :)

There is a DIY subforum here https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/audio/diy-corner-tips-techniques.22/

You might want to read up some on speaker building/design, maybe start with something like Ray Alden's Speaker Building 201 or Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook.

The processor could work with a home wall-wart type power supply? miniDSP.com has many units that could work for active crossover as well.

A multiple channel amp would be a better way to go than a receiver for an active speaker; if you build passive speakers (i.e. using a passive crossover) then a receiver could work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis