Capacitors crossover replacement

G

Gigid

Audiophyte
Hello
I'm having problems with one capacitor of a speaker and I would like to replace it with the same model and brand,
Unfortunately there is not any logo on itself
So I made a video and I hope you could help me.

The speakers are Krk 6000
And they are studio monitors

It's very important that I won't alterate the sound

Thank you
Gigi

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello
I'm having problems with one capacitor of a speaker and I would like to replace it with the same model and brand,
Unfortunately there is not any logo on itself
So I made a video and I hope you could help me.

The speakers are Krk 6000
And they are studio monitors

It's very important that I won't alterate the sound

Thank you
Gigi
Just use a decent quality but not exorbitantly expensive one. I'm not sure they need replacing. You did not test them correctly. You must fully discharge the caps before testing by shorting the connections with alligator clips. Then use the clips between the meter probes and the cap wires. You need to make a smart and sure connection, not just hold the prongs on. Otherwise the meter will charge a partially charged cap and give you the wrong reading. On the 6.8 mfd cap your probe was on and off, and that test is totally invalid.

G

Gigid

Audiophyte
Just use a decent quality but not exorbitantly expensive one. I'm not sure they need replacing. You did not test them correctly. You must fully discharge the caps before testing by shorting the connections with alligator clips. Then use the clips between the meter probes and the cap wires. You need to make a smart and sure connection, not just hold the prongs on. Otherwise the meter will charge a partially charged cap and give you the wrong reading. On the 6.8 mfd cap your probe was on and off, and that test is totally invalid.
First of all thank you for taking timefor replying me.

The capacitors were discharged before starting the video

I did it again and the value are

12.29 for the big
1.643 for the small

For sure I won't have a big budget.
But I'm lost into so many brands...
I'm reading feedbacks from users saying one brand sounds in a way this other brand sounds this way...

I just need the speakers to be back as my reference monitors, is not hi fi.

This is why I wanted to replace with exact model.
Or equivalent sound response

Thanks again
Gigi

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

First of all thank you for taking timefor replying me.

The capacitors were discharged before starting the video

I did it again and the value are

12.29 for the big
1.643 for the small

For sure I won't have a big budget.
But I'm lost into so many brands...
I'm reading feedbacks from users saying one brand sounds in a way this other brand sounds this way...

I just need the speakers to be back as my reference monitors, is not hi fi.

This is why I wanted to replace with exact model.
Or equivalent sound response

Thanks again
Gigi
Where are you located. A brand like Solen will do. You don't need to pay for Mundoorf!

G

Gigid

Audiophyte
Where are you located. A brand like Solen will do. You don't need to pay for Mundoorf!
I'm in Barcelona
I was just looking at Clarity cap
But there are various models...
ESA or CSA?

And the Solenoid im reading around in forums, many people don't have great opinion.

I don't new colour on the tweeter.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm in Barcelona
I was just looking at Clarity cap
But there are various models...
ESA or CSA?

And the Solenoid im reading around in forums, many people don't have great opinion.

I don't new colour on the tweeter.
Clarity caps are fine.

G

Gigid

Audiophyte
I also been adviced about the Jantzen crosscap, saying that are probably the best in term of quality/price.

But they are 400v not 250v
Any inconvenience to use them?

They are cheaper than Claritycap

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I also been adviced about the Jantzen crosscap, saying that are probably the best in term of quality/price.

But they are 400v not 250v
Any inconvenience to use them?
The main differences between capacitors rated at 250v vs. 400v are the size and price. 400v capacitors will be physically larger, and will cost more. Those voltages are ratings at which they've been tested to avoid failure. They indicate nothing about possible differences in sound quality. Both 250 and 400 are voltages higher than what should occur in audio crossovers.
… But I'm lost into so many brands...
There are many claims on the audio forums about how different speakers can sound when different makes of capacitors get used in crossovers. I would caution you about believing them. While it is important to use a capacitor with the correct capacitance rating (as near as reasonably possible), any claims about different capacitor brands or different construction materials are best ignored. There is no scientific evidence whatsoever to support those claims. When intelligent people have made their best efforts at testing different capacitors for different sound qualities, they always fail to detect it. It becomes similar to the debate whether copper speaker cables sound different from silver cables. There simply isn't any convincing evidence to support it.

G

Gigid

Audiophyte
Gracias
The main differences between capacitors rated at 250v vs. 400v are the size and price. 400v capacitors will be physically larger, and will cost more. Those voltages are ratings at which they've been tested to avoid failure. They indicate nothing about possible differences in sound quality. Both 250 and 400 are voltages higher than what should occur in audio crossovers.
There are many claims on the audio forums about how different speakers can sound when different makes of capacitors get used in crossovers. I would caution you about believing them. While it is important to use a capacitor with the correct capacitance rating (as near as reasonably possible), any claims about different capacitor brands or different construction materials are best ignored. There is no scientific evidence whatsoever to support those claims. When intelligent people have made their best efforts at testing different capacitors for different sound qualities, they always fail to detect it. It becomes similar to the debate whether copper speaker cables sound different from silver cables. There simply isn't any convincing evidence to support it.
Thanks a lot

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis