Can't scratch the upgrade/change itch (8000F to RF7?)

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
I'm just about wrapping up my latest changes to my theater and I'm wondering if I should have bought RF7/RC64 III's instead of RP-8000F's and the 504C. I could move the center and 600M's downstairs to my living room and put the 8000's for rears. Would the RF7's make a difference in a contained 16x18x8 room? I even thought about getting an LCR 3 channel amp...help me, it's almost like my photography gear obsession...

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wouldn't sweat it if I were you.

The RP-8000 are pretty good themselves, so the RF7 would be rather pricey for a more or less lateral move. All the flopped over mtm style centers are inherently flawed, so no tremendous gains their either.

All the models you mention employ dual woofs, suggesting lower impedances, but also fairly sensitive, so the need for an external amp is questionable. What are you using to drive them now?

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
SR8012 so it is an efficient, powerful and cool running receiver. Had bought an AC Infinity T8 for my old Onkyo to eventually use with this one and the Marantz barely warms up or turns the fans on. Was just looking for opinions, haven't really been able to fully enjoy my theater but hope to wrap it all up this weekend.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What you have is upgraditis. :D

Just save for your money and plan your dream system.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Those speakers are going to be voiced nearly identical. If you were doing a strictly 2-channel system and wanted to really feel it in the chest, I could see it as a worthwhile upgrade. But if your subs are taking care of the low end, the difference between dual 10's and dual 8's won't be very pronounced.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Given the cool running of the AVR, sensitive speakers, and modest sized room, no, I don't believe an external would be required.

What sort of subwoofage are you running?

You have a very respectable rig now, so put your efforts toward optimizing it.

M

mach250

Audioholic Intern
Two HSU VTF-3 MK5's, my problem is works been slow lately so I'm spending more time with my mind running around projects that may have gotten my attention over the last couple years. I do need to pull out my UMIK and REW once I'm finished actually getting my speakers installed and wired...making a lot of plans for this weekend.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Ok, now you're making me jealous.

That's a fine setup you have. I'll second Andrew, save your ducats for your dream rig. That would probably involve a speaker upgrade, and to something better than RF7. Check out the new JBL towers that shady just reviewed for something conceprually similar yet better executed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis