W

Wayne

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Would appreciate some advice from you experts.
I am about to purchase a new Yamaha RX-V640 (85 watts) and need some help deciding on speakers. Current speakers are Mirage M90is (f), JVC SP-RCH/II surrounds and centre SP-CTR/II.
1st question- Can I mix my Mirage speakers with another brand? Not sure if I can really afford Mirage, so I was thinking about Energy Take 2.2 and an Energy centre, or Mission M30 or M31, depending on price. In both cases, I was thinking of keeping my M90is for the front (or should they be used are rears?)
2nd question- If I can't mix my Mirage speakers, and you suggest I purchase new fronts, rear and centre, what would match best with the Yamaha? The Energy, Mission or Athena Point 5? If I purchase new front, centre and rears, can I use the Sony sub (SA-W10)?
Room size is 22' x 17' and we will be watching tv (especially sports), movies, gaming (PS2) and rock music.
Thanks in advance- looking forward to the replies!</font>

<font color='#000080'>Just be sure to try your best to match the fronts and center. You want to avoid having a bump when things pan across the front of your system. Front to back almost always has a timbre shift, so matching surrounds can be a second priority.</font>

W

Wayne

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Well Hawke, you must have an enormous amount of respect around here, cos after you speak, no one else bothers to reply! &nbsp;

Seriously though, thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.
I purchased the RX-V740 today-got a swinging deal cos my dealer is bringing in newer models.
If anyone else has some thoughts about speakers, please read my info above, and let me know what you think I should do.

Cheers!</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Whatever you do, matching the speakers is quintessential for seamless transition from mains to centers to surround. Also add Yamaha NS-555/777 to your list of speakers and the Yamaha YST-SW-315 or the 800 sub.
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I am also on the lookout for speakers and a new reciever. As such I have spent last month or so looking at options. I have looked at various bugets (spose allowing :) for the the complete set, which must be suitable for home thearter (movies) and music.

Based on the different budgets I would recommend:

~$1000 - Infinity Modulus HCS System
May not be to you liking, you ever love or hate the style. But from performance standpoint they are top class speakers for this buget (better overal performer than Magnat below)

~$1000 Magnet THX Select
Cheap THX Select System from European speaker producer Magnet. Super reviews in Europe, for both movies and music.

~$1400 - klipsch RF-3 II + matching setup
(2) RF-3 II Towers $534.95
(2) RS-3 II Surrounds $366.95
(1) RC-3 II Center Channel &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; $216.95
(1) KSW-12 Powered Subwoofer $284.95
Total $1403.80

Similiar to the advice in Audiohloics website.

On the top end with THX support I suggest.
~$2000 M&amp;K 750 System
~$3000 M&amp;K 850 System

I would suggest an audition with your same reciever before buying. If you are interested I casn send you some review links for further details.

Good places to buy.......
http://www.downtownaudio.com/
http://www.crutchfield.com/
http://store.yahoo.com/crazyeddieonline/audio-speakers.html

As every, always subjective, I would also welcome anyones else views, as I am also in the market for speakers.

Happy speaker hunting, and keep us posted on what you chose.</font>

W

Wayne

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the advice guys...it's very much appreciated. Picked up my new Yamaha receiver and all I can say is WOW!
I am so happy- it even makes my old speakers sound good, and that is saying a lot since they are a mismatch.

Still looking and listening for new speakers. My budget isn't quite what I would like- about $1000 CAN max. and will probably keep my existing sub for a while til I can afford a better one. So far the Missions sound good to me- the Athenas not too bad. The Yamaha speakers sounded kind of bright to me. Should I be looking for a smoother sounding speaker cos the Yammy is a bright receiver?

Question for the pros here-should I be paying lots of attention to the frequency response? It seems the more you spend- the greater the range. Or should I just go with what sounds good to me in the price range i can afford?

Thanks again for the help. Your thoughts and suggestions are exactly what I need.</font>

<font color='#000080'>You really have to stay in your price range - so it's going to be what sounds good to you. On the high frequency end, listen to some raw female vocals if you can, and listen to the sibilances (s's, etc). Better speakers will give these detail without making them sound like they are harsh or distorting. A lower-end tweeter will render sibilance sounds as either mush or without detail (almost annoying in nature).

Hard to explain, perhaps, but you will notice a difference here very rapidly when comparing different speakers.

The other thing I check is mid-bass performance and watch out for any speaker that extends too low (for it's build), resulting in a sloppy reproduction of lower frequencies.

bottom line, you're looking for a sound you will be happy with, and I encourage you to stay in your budget. Don't even listen to something you cannot afford - it will just force you up!</font>

W

Wayne

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Well gang. I finally picked up new speakers to go with my Yamaha receiver.
I purchased the new Mission M2S system- they sounded good in the showroom, and here at home.
However, (you guys are right-once you get the bug, you always are searching for more), when I looked at the specs in the manual, I was surprised, embarrassed, and maybe even a little upset.
The manual states the specs as-
4 matching satellites- freq. response- 130Hz to 20kHz
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sensitivity- 88 db

center-</font>

W

Wayne

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Well gang. I finally picked up new speakers to go with my Yamaha receiver.
I purchased the new Mission M2S system- they sounded good in the showroom, and here at home.
However, (you guys are right-once you get the bug, you always are searching for more), when I looked at the specs in the manual, I was surprised, embarrassed, and maybe even a little upset.
The manual states the specs as-
4 matching satellites- freq. response- 130Hz to 20kHz
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;sensitivity- 88 db
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;recommended amp power- 10-75 watts
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;crossover frequency- 3 kHz
center channel- same as above, except sensitivity of86 dB
active subwoofer- crossover frequency- 60Hz-150Hz
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; - frequency response- 38Hz-150Hz
So the question is, am I loosing something soundwise with these satellites? Should I be concerned about the seeming loss between say 80Hz- 130Hz?
What would I be missing from movies?
Am I worrying about nothing?
I should say that I really like the look of these speakers, and I especially don't want my rear speakers to be that large in size.
I read so much about Yamaha being &quot;bright&quot; that I thought the Missions would &quot;tone&quot; things down a bit.
So what do you guys think?
I really need some advice. Please.

Wayne</font>

TjMV3

TjMV3

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Yamahaluver, &nbsp; have you heard the NS-777 yet? &nbsp;Any chance you can share your opinions, &nbsp;or experiences with this particular speaker?</font>

<font color='#000080'>Wayne, how much $$$ did they take you for on the speakers?

You will probably notice a lack of mid-bass punch on that system between the actual sub frequenecies and the bottom end of the satellites. 130Hz is pretty much satellite as you mention, so you'll be stuck with the same inherent lack of performance that type of system delivers. I recommend the use of satellites in a near-field configuration. Your 17 x 22 room may leave you a bit wanting if you try to fill the whole room. Bring the speakers in closer via stands and you may be better off.</font>

W

Wayne

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the input Hawke.
&quot;They&quot; took me for $780 Canadian. The sale price was $888 Can. and I am not sure the suggested retail price.
I listened to so many speakers that I was getting tired of listening. Then I would read online what others were saying about the Yamaha being so-called &quot;bright.&quot;
(in retrospect, I am not even sure if &quot;bright&quot; would bother me- I can adjust the treble and bass-won't that help?)
Anyway, I did not want my rears to be large because our couch is against the wall- the 22' wall- tv is directly across on the other 22' wall.
So after listening and reading, I thought, hell, the Athena Point 5 has received lots of great reviews and the Energy Take 5.2 has as well. And since their size was what I was looking for, I thought I was ready to buy.
1st store offered their floor demos for $800 (Point 5 with sub).
Another store had the Point 5, as well as Energy and the Missions. &nbsp;They wouldn't match the 1st stores price for the Point 5, (about $200 more) but had the Mission M2S for the prices I noted above.
When I listened to the Point 5 vs the Mission's, I couldn't hear any difference.
So with the price being a bit cheaper, the fact that they were new, the fact that Mission is a little warmer than Athena, and that the store has had a good reputation for years- voila- I bought them.
Like I said though, am I going to miss anything? Should I return them for the Point 5?
Thankfully, I still have well over 3 weeks to make a final decision.
Now I am ready to listen to the words of wisdom from the audio guru's here.
Listening habits are 60% tv, including digital movie channels, 20% DVD, 10% VHS movies, 10% music.
So what does everyone think?
Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thank-you.

Wayne</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis