Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Man I hate Canadian Customs. I know they exist for a reason but still. I bought a receiver in the States almost a month ago. I knew it would take an extra week to get here because I had to ship it somewhere else first, but it still should have been here a week ago. I've had tracking numbers that allowed me to track it the whole way. The receiver has been in Canada, oh I'm sorry, was in Canada for over a week awaiting some kind of clearance. I've called about 10 times and been told each time that my shipment would be cleared and shipped the next day. I called them yesterday and I got some news that made me want to start screaming into the phone. Canada Customs made a mistake and mailed my receiver back to my Uncle in the States. They told me the good news was that it had been express shipped so it would be there later in the afternoon, and since it was their mistake they would waive the shipping fee. Isn't that nice. They didn't even want to waive the shipping fee back to the States that they were planning on COD'ing my relative until I complained for a half hour. The person on the other end of the phone actually had a pair that was hairy enough to suggest that this wasn't a big deal and that they didn't get the fuss. This is not Fedex's fault. They did their job, this thing was out of control. My Uncle received it at 10:00 Pacific time last night and is mailing it to me UPS airmail for an additional $50 US. By the time I get my receiver the 30 day period where Ubid will replace the defective unit will be over. Dear Lord please strike down Canada Customs and all who work for Canada Customs, this I pray Amen.

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
I don't ship

I just drive up to Whistler a couple times a year and it's almost always more of a hassle getting back into the states.

Sorry for your troubles. Send a letter to the Prime Minister. Whenever I'm unhappy about governmentalism, I send a letter to Shrub and he's always right on it.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Whistler is supposed to be awesome. Always wanted to visit there. I go to the States about 3 or 4 times a year and I get the exact same experience as you, although I get the trouble from American guards and you get it from Canadians. Things weren't always as strict as they are now but they changed for an understandable reason. US border guards are pretty scary guys, and to be honest I haven't had one that wasn't a complete tool for at least a year now. I think that they have a boring yet tough and demanding job (and I also think secretly that they all wanted to be cops and flunked out of training for attitude or intelligence problems).

Thanks for the sympathy, this is starting to get on my last nerve though. I hope it gets here Monday.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
I used to go up to Vancouver a couple times a year just for fun but no more. Having had my car torn apart for no apparent reason (they couldn't give me one) & then left for me to put back together, I said screw it. After waiting for 90 mins. in line to reach the border (returning to U.S.), they treated me like a smuggler. I even suggested they use dogs if they were concerned about drugs & that almost landed me a strip search :eek: . .......& this was pre-9/11.
It's funny because going into Canada is a snap.....a couple ?'s & have a nice trip. But coming back & wondering if you're going to be the random car they select to search is more drama than I want.
Vancouver is a beautiful city & the outlying areas are majestic, but it's just too much of a hassle any more.

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
Whistler

If you ever get to Whistler, make sure you drive the "Sea to Sky Highway" between Vancouver and Whistler. It is as beautiful a road as exists on the planet. Whistler used to be a 90% winter resort, but no more. It's as busy and fun in the summer as winter. The mountain biking is sublime.

Actually, I get more hassle from the Americans than Canadians, even though I show my American passport. The US border guards are some pretty intense dudes. They intentionally ask off-center questions designed to fluster you and they do, even though you're legit.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
They've built some great golf courses up there & I'm hoping to get up there in Sept. I'm going to make one of my buddies drive though.

cam

cam

Audioholic
Hey guys, I live in the Vancouver area and I would just like to pass along some advice, drive defensively on the sea to sky Hwy. It can be a very deadly Hwy. And almost always it is somebody who is driving careful and it is a suicidal moron going in the opposite direction. Always expect a driver going opposite you to cross the center line. I'm serious here. Drive safe fellow Audioholics.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Latest example

I've been trying to get a sonic T amp for a very long time. Originally my uncle was going to get me one from Target and fire it up to me. Of course target is sold out everytime he's been there. I've had my name in at a couple of places including PE to get one but they were $40 US and I knew they were cheaper, so I kept checking on ECOST because they were only $19.95. They finally came in so I went to order one. I chose ecost because they ship to Canada. Guess what the final cost was? Just for your edification $19.95 is approx. $25 CDN.

Drumrollllllllll: $70 CDN!!! So somehow it's $45 to ship this to me? By the way I'm posting the sonic T Amp in the Deals page.

P.S. I still don'thave receiver I ordered about a MO ago due to customs SNAFU. SO ANGRY.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Hmmm, so that's where all the border guards work. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis