Can you help me understand bass management in a stereo integrated amplifiers?

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
Can someone please help me understand this in stereo receivers or integrated amplifiers as I am confused. In the HT system I understand the concept of LFE and how you could send the low frequency signal to the subwoofer but not to the main speakers.

However, I am confused with stereo integrated amplifiers. For example:
--Outlaw Audio calls it: Bass Management selector switch in RR2160 stereo receiver. If I connect a subwoofer to this receiver, will it send a full range signal to my LR bookshelf speakers or anything about selected frequency.
--Yamaha A-S701/S501/S301 series seem to have a fixed cut off and they call it "SUBWOOFER OUT (Cut Off Frequency at 100 Hz)"
--There is also a BasX TA1 Rear Panel with three connection options to subwoofer. That is a different confusion to me but maybe another question for a different thread.

Again, the question is if I am using a subwoofer, does the stereo integrated amplifier send the full range signal to my LR speakers or only above the threshold selected.

One reason I became curious about this is because of the conflicting information I read (no peer review of what is written on the internet :) ) about stereo systems. That is if I send a full range signal to small LR speakers and listen at high volume it may damage my LR speakers. Is this true? I have such a system on my desktop (using RSL CG3 which goes down to only 100 Hz). Current, integrated amp I use does not have base management, but I use an RSL sub. I am not too worried about my speakers as they are not too expensive, and I do not listen at high volumes; but I want to know in case I decide to upgrade my integrated amplifier to something with Bass Management. Thank you.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Can someone please help me understand this in stereo receivers or integrated amplifiers as I am confused. In the HT system I understand the concept of LFE and how you could send the low frequency signal to the subwoofer but not to the main speakers.

However, I am confused with stereo integrated amplifiers. For example:
--Outlaw Audio calls it: Bass Management selector switch in RR2160 stereo receiver. If I connect a subwoofer to this receiver, will it send a full range signal to my LR bookshelf speakers or anything about selected frequency.
--Yamaha A-S701/S501/S301 series seem to have a fixed cut off and they call it "SUBWOOFER OUT (Cut Off Frequency at 100 Hz)"
--There is also a BasX TA1 Rear Panel with three connection options to subwoofer. That is a different confusion to me but maybe another question for a different thread.

Again, the question is if I am using a subwoofer, does the stereo integrated amplifier send the full range signal to my LR speakers or only above the threshold selected.

One reason I became curious about this is because of the conflicting information I read (no peer review of what is written on the internet :) ) about stereo systems. That is if I send a full range signal to small LR speakers and listen at high volume it may damage my LR speakers. Is this true? I have such a system on my desktop (using RSL CG3 which goes down to only 100 Hz). Current, integrated amp I use does not have base management, but I use an RSL sub. I am not too worried about my speakers as they are not too expensive, and I do not listen at high volumes; but I want to know in case I decide to upgrade my integrated amplifier to something with Bass Management. Thank you.
There are no standards for bass management that all integrated amps must follow. You best bet is to read and trust the manual and if you cannot find the answers to your questions then you should contact the manufacturer's customer support.

I briefly read the RR2160MkII's manual and thought it has done a good job explaining how its bass management work but the RR2160 may be different (can't find the manual for that one) depending on the settings. On page 9, it does say the following about the bass management selector switch:

This switch lets you adjust the internal crossover (bass management system) to route user-selected low frequencies to the subwoofer output (R25) while the rest of the audio signal is sent to the amplifier and then to the main loudspeakers.
So I think it is clear that if you use this switch, the speakers will not get full range.

The A-S801, as you said, has a cut off fixed at 100 Hz so I am quite sure it will send full range to the speakers and >= 100 Hz to the subwoofer.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
RR2150 is basically the only stereo integrated unit that I've ever seen that has selectable bass management and it does seem to filter the mains as well. This is why the RR2150 was such a big deal when it was released and is still frequently recommended today. (RR2150 manual says it works the same as the 2160).

The rest that have any cutoff are typically fixed and do not affect the mains. Most integrateds previously did not even have a sub output.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis