Can this be done for 3-4k?

M

Mrhappysuncle

Enthusiast
Hello all, I'm fairly new to this, so I'd appreciate your input. I'm finishing my basement and will be making one room a dedicated home theater. Here's the details:

Room - 27' x 13' x 8' high

We watch 60% TV (Comcast HD), 30% DVD movies and 10% Xbox using HD connection.

I would like to do in-wall speakers (6.1 or 7.1) and possibly 2 subs; one of which I already have (powered 100w KLH).

Also a projector, receiver, screen, cables and any extras like an HDMI switcher.

I would apreciate your suggestions. And would $3-$4k be enough for a decent setup?

Thanks

majorloser

majorloser

Time to dig deep in the wallet!

Let's start with some of the basic info first:

Could you give us a little sketch of the room that would include your preferred seating arrangment? And maybe a description (doors, windows, etc)? Do you plan on using the projector with ambient lights (light control is an issue)?

I'm going to say "YES" it can be done (tough project). Just be aware that in-walls can be a little more pricey and require a LOT more pre-planning. You also don't want to skimp on speakers if you are making big holes in the drywall for them. You might be better off looking at small bookshelves mounted on the wall. That's a fairly large room to fill with sound.

If you are planning on using the 13 foot wall as the projection wall, a 100" to 110" 16x9 screen should work. Buy a fixed screen if this will be the primary method of viewing.

In that price range I'd look at the Optoma H-72 or the Sanyo PLV-Z4 (both 720P). There are some good deals at www.projectorpeople.com for Audioholics member
(see thread http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19180)

Forget the sub for now (future project). Buy an entry level receiver for now with plans to upgrade later (budget allowing). Buy good quality wire for inside the wall (UL CL-2 rated).

J

JP_Silver_S2k

Audioholic Intern
Yeah it can be done but in order to pay that much you'll probably have to buy from an unauthorized website......

To do a legit job here's what i would do on your budget

Projector: Optoma H31 ED Projector (Authorized youll find it at or under $900)
Screen:

Screen: Gray Wolf Fixed Frame Screen model# DF-GWII9106F
106" Fixed Frame Screen $699.99

In wall speakers:
Front: Axiom W2's $440 Per Pair
Rear: Axiom W2's $440 Per Pair
Center: Axiom W100 $340 Each * 2

Sub(s):
Axiom EP175 Sub

Receiver:
Yamaha RX-V559 (no HDMI but with an ED projector HDMI is a bit of a waste)

Total Price about $4200

For your application and Budget i would definatly recommend an ED projector, it'll still take on a high def feed but it'll scale it down a bit
Plus you can use any DVD Player on it, and not shell out the extra cash for an upconverting one.

Hope this is helpfull to you

M

Mrhappysuncle

Enthusiast
Some More Info and thanks

Sorry, hit the button too quickly there.

Here's the exact dimensions in 3D. The white is the screen and blue are windows. I'm not opposed to mounting external speakers if there's a big difference in price and I could put the money elsewhere. What would you put up?Thanks for your input. I'm getting a real eye-opener here.

Attachments

majorloser

majorloser

J

JP_Silver_S2k

Audioholic Intern
can you mount the sceen on the opposite wall? if theres no window there, your better off mounting the screen and speakers on the other wall

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
JP_Silver_S2k said:
Yeah it can be done but in order to pay that much you'll probably have to buy from an unauthorized website......

To do a legit job here's what i would do on your budget

Projector: Optoma H31 ED Projector (Authorized youll find it at or under $900)
Screen:

Screen: Gray Wolf Fixed Frame Screen model# DF-GWII9106F
106" Fixed Frame Screen $699.99

In wall speakers:
Front: Axiom W2's $440 Per Pair
Rear: Axiom W2's $440 Per Pair
Center: Axiom W100 $340 Each * 2

Sub(s):
Axiom EP175 Sub

Receiver:
Yamaha RX-V559 (no HDMI but with an ED projector HDMI is a bit of a waste)

Total Price about $4200

For your application and Budget i would definatly recommend an ED projector, it'll still take on a high def feed but it'll scale it down a bit
Plus you can use any DVD Player on it, and not shell out the extra cash for an upconverting one.

Hope this is helpfull to you
This is a good start, but that Subwoofer has to go. Look at similar priced subs from SVS, HSU, and AV123.

SheepStar

B

branfam

Audiophyte
ceiling speakers

Hi,
Because of your room layout, ceiling speakers may be a good choice for the surrounds, or perhaps your entire 7.1 system.

M

Mrhappysuncle

Enthusiast
My Planned Seating Arrangement

I plan on getting one row of three theater seats and putting them right in the middle. I could use the opposing wall if I made some adjustment to the bar that will be toward the back left corner. There is space for in wall speakers on the sides between the windows but I may re-think that and look at on-wall more closely in my research. I also currently have an LG upconverting DVD player and a Poineer USX 1015-TX (how do these compare to the Yamaha RX's?) that I can rob from another room. Thanks guys.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
If you already have a reasonable receiver and DVD player, keep um and upgrade later. Focus on getting your projector and good speakers now. Definitly get a better sub than the Axiom. You can pickup an AV123.com UFW-10 in Maple for $399 right now. Awesome sub for the money. Projector people has a great deal on the Z4 with a screen, remote, dvd and cables for under $2500. See if they will take the package and pull out the remote and DVD player.

majorloser

majorloser

Sorry for making you read something long:

Mrhappysuncle said:
I plan on getting one row of three theater seats and putting them right in the middle. I could use the opposing wall if I made some adjustment to the bar that will be toward the back left corner. There is space for in wall speakers on the sides between the windows but I may re-think that and look at on-wall more closely in my research. I also currently have an LG upconverting DVD player and a Poineer USX 1015-TX (how do these compare to the Yamaha RX's?) that I can rob from another room. Thanks guys.
I'm sorry, but I'm guessing on your room drawing. The door and screen is shown on the 13' wall? If this is true, it's actually pretty good for you because with the 27" to play with you can add another row of seating and have room for a small bar area in the back. My room is 12' x 20' x 10' tray ceiling (http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22943)
With the additional room in the back you could place a small bar with bar stools for people to sit at. You could even buy just a love seat for the back row to give enough room for small end tables (snacks, drinks). Place the back area on an approx 6" to 8" deck to raise them over the front row.

Yes, by all means, if you have an upconverting DVD player and a receiver to use for now, use them! More than likely you'll be able to buy a receiver. I would stick with a 720P native projector for now and a decent fixed wall screen in the 100" to 110" range. This will still leave you with plenty of room on either side for speakers and work well with the approx 20' seated distance. If you look at bookshelve speakers for now the mounting locations will be almost the same for in-wall speakers. If you leave a couple of extra feet of wire in the wall you will have plenty of extra if you decide to later change to in-walls. (NOTE: if you haven't put the drywall up yet, at the very least put some fiberglass batting in the walls).

As far as subwoofer. It's a MUST HAVE, but if the budget is set it might be tough right now. A good quality sub will run between $500 and $1,000. A big hit on a tight budget. Right now the important stuff is behind the walls. Run all the cables, install a 2" conduit from the receiver area to the projector location and run electric to these locations.

STEP #1: Go to www.projectorcentral.com (and Audioholics) and start reading about projector and screens. Once you pick out what projector and screen you want, then you can learn the proper mounting distance from the screen to the projector. They are the first big expenditures.

STEP#2: Audition some speakers. Read reviews. Listen to in-walls vs. conventional speakers. Choose what sounds best TO YOU. My advice would be to spend at least 25% to 30% of you budget on speakers.

STEP#3: Buy the cables, wall plates and in-wall wires to hook everything up. Don't need to spend huge amounts of money on the big name companies. Just make sure you install UL CL2 or CL3 rated wires in the walls and ceiling (that damn electrical code thing).

STEP #4: If you have any money left :( look at a decent receiver. This will put you back between $800 to $1,000.

STEP #5: Beg the wife for another $800 to get a good subwoofer :p

JUST REMEMBER BUDGETS ARE MEANT TO BE BROKEN (Yes, I work for the government)

Last edited:
M

Mrhappysuncle

Enthusiast
Time To Shop

I appreciate every word. That is a 13' wall. I've attached a little more accurate portrayal. This is a lot closer to what will really be there. I'll make a deep ledge under the back right large window and put some more stools. And your room is truly fabulous by the way.
There is no sheetrock yet so I'd like to do it right before construction starts. Thanks for the batting tip.

So you recommend running conduit for the HDMI cable?

I will be putting a plug in the ceiling where the projector will go, and buying a sub even if I have to "squeeze the fish" somewhere else.

And thanks for the sub recommendation and av123.com link. I 've been lurking projectorpeople.com for a couple weeks now. I'll see what I can find.

Thanks again!

Attachments

majorloser

majorloser

Mrhappysuncle said:
So you recommend running conduit for the HDMI cable?

I would absolutely recommend running a two inch conduit. You'll always need the other sources. At the very least having component and composite video cables is a plus. HDMI can run a lot of thing, but not all. Unless you want to buy a video scaler or a receiver that upscales everything (if there is such a thing that works right).

The main thing is the conduit allows you to adapt to change easily. You can see all the cables I'm running. I can hook a video camera up, my digital camera, my old VCR (why, I don't know), my old PS1 system and I still have the cababilities to run 5-wire component devices.

A little bit of planning now can save you headaches later.

HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE MADNESS!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis