Can satellite speakers be used for presence speakers

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Hi,
I have just upgraded my Def Tech ProCinema 600 fronts and center to Klipsch RP 8000F and was wondering if I can use two of the satellite speakers as presence speakers in the new setup? will this be a good setup?

Another question, as the room is small, the couch is literally placed just at the back wall, does it make any sense to add any more speakers for a better experience?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If you're asking if you could use them as surround speakers yes you can. Surround speakers are not as critical to use the same brand or same speaker as your front three Mains.

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
I have two already being used as surround speakers and doing fine, what I'm asking about are the presence speakers(as called by the Yamaha AV manual) which I believe are the atoms speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Which avr? Yamaha(and their stoopid propriety language) does call their height/top speakers “presence” I believe. And yes, you can definitely use the BS for that purpose. As far as being on the back wall, that’s up to you to try, but if you can find speakers cheap enough, why not? Ideally no, you’d want to make sure to be off of the wall but rooms aren’t ideal so... Try .2 as front height/top first and see what you think. It might be good enough. .4 IS better in a proper layout, but again, if you can try it for cheap...

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Which avr? Yamaha(and their stoopid propriety language) does call their height/top speakers “presence” I believe. And yes, you can definitely use the BS for that purpose. As far as being on the back wall, that’s up to you to try, but if you can find speakers cheap enough, why not? Ideally no, you’d want to make sure to be off of the wall but rooms aren’t ideal so... Try .2 as front height/top first and see what you think. It might be good enough. .4 IS better in a proper layout, but again, if you can try it for cheap...
Thank you William.. I have the a3080, just got it actually and trying to get my head around it.

So I will use two of the old definitive technology satellite speakers as presence (atmost) and see..

As for the rear ones, I don't have any more speakers but will try to find cheap used ones but they will be literally above the surround speakers I have.

I'm also thinking of adding a couple of ceiling speakers in the kitchen to run on second zone, any recommendations?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Forgot to ask. How high are your surrounds mounted? If they’re close to ear height you should be good in trying tear heights. But if they’re already fairly high, you won’t probably notice a whole lot as the surrounds will be doing much of the work. In Atmos the bed layer should be separated from the height layer. But any Atmos is better than no Atmos.
IC speakers? Hmm. How much do you want to spend? I have in one of my rooms a pair of Polk rc85i in the ceiling. They’re cheap and pretty good overall. All things considered. I used rsl c34e’s in my Atmos install.

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
They are mounted at ear level on the sides, so I think I will follow your advice and buy two more cheap put them high just above the seating area on the wall.

I don't have much options where I live, but I think I can find Polk, Def Tech, JBL, Bose and Klipsch

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
They are mounted at ear level on the sides, so I think I will follow your advice and buy two more cheap put them high just above the seating area on the wall.

I don't have much options where I live, but I think I can find Polk, Def Tech, JBL, Bose and Klipsch
In my case, my Polk S-20 surround tweeters are 24" above ear level, a bit behind my ears/side of head and angled down toward my head. My system is in the basement with the floor jousts painted black. Speakers hang down from 2 X 10's using black chain. Front L/R are 7' feet apart with tweeters at ear level, directed at listening area. The surrounds are 7 feet apart. That part of the basement space is 8 X 10 with 55" 4K, UHD, with 7.5 feet viewing distance. It couldn't be better for me. For my speaker calibrations, the microphone was placed 24" in front of my listening position, after several tests, over a couple days.

H

HarrazH

Enthusiast
Nice setup.

I have done the mic calibration only once when i sit, is this the right way? I'm asking because you said you have been testing with it for a few days

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I have suped-up Radio Shack walnut Minimus 7's for my front presence. They have Miller Kreisel tweeters and modern crossovers. They sound great. I used them as mains years ago. But now, they make my mains sound 10 feet tall if listening in HT mode.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis