Can I watch TV without the Home Theater?

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Hi. I haven't gotten my home theater system yet, still shopping (and I don't know anyone who owns an HT so I can't test this theory), but one important and abiding question is, will I be able to watch television without having to turn everything on?

For instance, I currently have the cable going through the VCR into the TV. I don't have to turn on my VCR to watch TV.

With an HT receiver, I assume the cable will run through it then out to the TV. Will I still be able to just turn on the TV and watch (and listen through the TV speakers) without turning everything on?

The reason I'm asking is, my mom watches the kids and she's a complete technophobe and no matter how much I tell her what to turn on in what order she'll never get it right. So it would be much easier if the tv still functioned as a tv when all it said and done.

On a side note, when you have everything set up and you are listening to the home theater, what prevents the TV from still using it's speakers?

Thanks.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Well...

There are several things to take to mind, if you only have a cable line going to the TV without a cable converter box then you will need to get one to hook it up to a receiver OR run it through the VCR and use the RCA's output from the VCR to go to the receiver (you will have to keep the VCR on and use it to control the ch). You can keep the cable run going to the TV ANT input and your mom can just watch the TV as normal. You would just need to switch the TV inputs when you use it for Home Theater use....does that make sense? Or did I confuse you more? :confused:

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
Actually, that does make sense, or will once I get to that point.

I was just hoping for a simple solution that didn't involve me having to change inputs anywhere. ;)

Thanks.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
And the correct name for a "technophobe" is a Luddite.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis