Can I use my old AVR as an external power amplifier?

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
I was wondering if I could use my old AV receiver as an external power amplifier (RX-V675)? If so, how?
I have recently purchased a Yamaha TSR-700 which has two pre-outs for the front speakers. I was wondering if I could use my old AVR (RX-V675) as an external power amplifier to power the front channel on the new TSR-700. I have attached the backpanel of RX-V675.

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was wondering if I could use my old AV receiver as an external power amplifier (RX-V675)? If so, how?
I have recently purchased a Yamaha TSR-700 which has two pre-outs for the front speakers. I was wondering if I could use my old AVR (RX-V675) as an external power amplifier to power the front channel on the new TSR-700. I have attached the backpanel of RX-V675.
No you can't, end of.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Conceivably you could use a pair of the analog inputs and use a direct/pure direct type mode to make the V675 act as an amp, but there's little advantage in doing so IMO. Some avrs have direct analog inputs more suited to such, but this model doesn't.

R

rnaeye

Junior Audioholic
Conceivably you could use a pair of the analog inputs and use a direct/pure direct type mode to make the V675 act as an amp, but there's little advantage in doing so IMO. Some avrs have direct analog inputs more suited to such, but this model doesn't.
Thank you for the details. I will not bother to use it as amplifier based on the feedback I am getting.

rom3

rom3

Audioholic Intern
Thank you for the details. I will not bother to use it as amplifier based on the feedback I am getting.
Might be worth a try depending on your use case. For example, if your new AVR processes 9 channels but only has 7 amps and you want to use 9 channels. Plenty of people doing this over on AVS forum.

• make sure both avr's are off before proceding
  • looks like the TSR-700 has left / right pre-outs, connect RCA "patch cords" to these outputs
  • connect the other end of the patch cords to "audio1" input on the rx-v675
  • disconnect the left / right speaker cables from the tsr-700 and connect them instead to the speaker posts on the rx-v675
  • turn both avr's on
  • select audio1 as the source on the rx-v675
  • turn the volume up to 80% or so on the rx-v675
  • make sure you're not running any type of DSP on the audio1 source, in Denon speak use "Direct" as the setting, not sure what the Yamaha term for this is
  • run the setup / room correction (ypao?) on the tsr-700 to set the levels correctly on all speakers, if the trim is out of range maxed out too high or too low (ie. Denon's can do a max of +/- 12dB on the trim levels), raise or lower the master volume on the rx-v675 and run the setup again until in range
You'll have to turn on / off the rx-v675 manually. I don't have the manual for the tsr-700, but hopefully, the left / right pre-outs volume is variable not fixed meaning changes to the master volume will also change those outputs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have the manual for the tsr-700, but hopefully, the left / right pre-outs volume is variable not fixed meaning changes to the master volume will also change those outputs.
Pre-outs will be variable with volume. They'd just be line outs otherwise.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis