Can I create RCA adapters for 14g speaker wire for sub?

J

jhayes

Enthusiast
I've got an existing run of 14g speaker wire going to a previous non-powered sub.

I'm upgrading to a powered one, and want to know if I can just create an "RCA to speaker" connector at the receiver and a "speaker to RCA" connector at the sub. Using one wire for the control and one for the ground.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
jhayes said:
I've got an existing run of 14g speaker wire going to a previous non-powered sub.

I'm upgrading to a powered one, and want to know if I can just create an "RCA to speaker" connector at the receiver and a "speaker to RCA" connector at the sub. Using one wire for the control and one for the ground.

No, don't use speaker cable as an interconnect. But you can use that speaker cable as before but hook it up to the speaker cable input. Your powered sub should have that option too. The amp will attenuate the signal and uses it.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
I disagree with mtrycrafts. If your receiver has the sub out, the signal to the sub is audio, so yes you can use the speaker wire with RCAs at each end. However, you had better be skilled with tools because it will be tough. Most if not all RCAs are not designed to accept a wire as large as 14 gauge, they use much smaller wire since the signal is line level (millivolts and milliamps) not speaker level (volts and amps). Now, if your receiver does not have the sub out, you'll need that 14 gauge or even larger

J

jhayes

Enthusiast
Found an RCA -> Bare wire at R.S.

My local R Shak had an RCA -> bare wire adapter.

So, it looks like I'll wire the 14g in wall to a binding post, and use the R.S. adapter as my patch cable from the wall outlet to the speaker.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The only possible negative there might be to using...

..unshielded speaker cable (which virtually ALL is) for long runs of line level signals is the possible* pickup of noise, hum and other nasties.

With a speaker level signa, these are not really an issue but these "lower level" signals go through additional stages of amplification where the funky stuff will get amplified along with the line level signal.

Ever see the movie "The Fly?" Same idea...

*possible because you might not be affected by this.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis