Can I connect 4-ohm speakers (5.1 configutation) to a receiver with 6-ohm minimum impedance?

R

Rtul

Audiophyte
I am looking to buy a receiver (like Yamaha RX-V475) under $450 that can drive five 4-ohm speakers (ADS L300), plus a self-powered sub-woofer (ADS HT10ps). All receivers I've seen so far require a minimum of 6-ohms/speaker if connected in a 5.1 configuration. Is it really critical that I observe this minimum requirement. Thanks so much!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I am looking to buy a receiver (like Yamaha RX-V475) under $450 that can drive five 4-ohm speakers (ADS L300), plus a self-powered sub-woofer (ADS HT10ps). All receivers I've seen so far require a minimum of 6-ohms/speaker if connected in a 5.1 configuration. Is it really critical that I observe this minimum requirement. Thanks so much!
Normally no, the V475 should not be used with 4 ohms speakers. However, the L300 is a very small acoustic suspension speaker that will not play loud and being so small they can't take a lot of power anyway. So in a small room, or for desktop application, you will be fine but don't try to play it too loud. I am guessing you may get 82 to 83 dB/W/M.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Yes you can. You just can't operate the receiver at full output power. That isn't a problem for the majority of home audio systems. These ratings are based on full output power. They can be lowered by rating the power lower or using lower power.

If yours is not one of the majority home audio systems, you will know because the receiver will shut down to protect itself. Then you will need to do something else. I drive a pair of 4 ohm speakers with a bottom line receiver in my bedroom system without the slightest problem.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with PENG and FMW here. The power demands for such small speakers should be minimal.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, but don't try to crank it. IIWY, I'd look for a receiver rated for four ohms.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I agree with the advice so far but another option for you would be Marantz receivers. They will drive 4ohm speakers with no problem.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with the advice so far but another option for you would be Marantz receivers. They will drive 4ohm speakers with no problem.
They don't hold the exclusive capacity to do so, and it really depends on what model you're referring to. The same could be said of just about any other manufacturer of quality home theater receivers.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would certainly put Yamaha (what he has) into that category as quicly as Marantz, and I would have some suspicion of the lowest of the slim Marantz receivers' ability to do that!
You can't get away from "it depends" that easy!

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
I know there are other receivers that can run 4 ohms but when I had my Marantz receiver I called and talked to a tech there and was told all their receivers would do 4 ohm speakers and so I gave advice on what I knew about. I don't just throw advice out there when I haven't actually owned the other products that might do what the OP wants.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Tcarcio, I think what you said would apply to most receivers. Understand that specifications for electronics are partly a function of measured performance and partly a function of avoiding potential lawsuits.

Chinese made receivers are built more lightly than some discrete amplifiers. It isn't that discrete amplifiers have some sort of magic circuit design. It is that they often use heavier duty components that can withstand more current draw. The receivers are likely to go into thermal protection mode from too much current draw before the amplifiers will. In order to produce too much current draw you would need to use the receiver at volume levels that most people would consider uncomfortably loud. But the lawyers want to be able to say "we told you so" in a court room.

For the OP, the simple advice is to stay within the parameters laid out by the manufacturer and its lawyers. But you asked if it is critical to heed these parameters. The answer is that it is not critical for most people and most installations.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis