Can anyone tell me your experience with Emotiva xmc 2?

Kaiser

Kaiser

Audiophyte
Has anyone reviewed the Emotiva xmc 2 in 2021? Looking to purchase if the unit is stable with all of the recent firmware updates.

Kaiser

Kaiser

Audiophyte
Thank you for the link. Looks like I will be looking elsewhere for a processor, too many issues right now.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for the link. Looks like I will be looking elsewhere for a processor, too many issues right now.
Yeah the more I went thru the accompanying thread and Emotiva's reaction and everyone piping up about even more issues, meh. Then again I took Emotiva off my radar a while back due a few different things going on with them, and their history with buggy pre-pros precedes them. Maybe one of their amps if the price was right. I'd be happy just using something like a Denon 3700 or 4700 for a pre, or maybe Marantz or Yamaha if a dedicated pre is a must....

T

tparm

Audioholic
My RMC-1 works very well and is the best sounding AVR/ processor I’ve owned (And I’ve had a few; Anthem 710, Arcam 850, NAD T758.3, AV7703, AVR-X4700, AVR-A110 and now RMC-1). I don‘t use ARC or CEC but I do keep it connected to my network via Ethernet for the app control which nearly eliminates all the sluggish input switching people talk about. Works very well with Harmony too. As mentioned, it is without a doubt the best sounding piece I have had on that slot in my rack.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what makes it sound particularly good, the Dirac implementation?

T

tparm

Audioholic
So what makes it sound particularly good, the Dirac implementation?
That certainly helps. And I know I’ll be called out for placebo blah blah but even in Reference Stereo (not digitized in any way, no Dirac, 2CH large) mode playing through my Gustard DAC streamed music and CDs sound better than they did through the X4700 or A110. Also, “spacial” re:Atmos tracks via Apple Music sound incredible (Dirac and SVS subs in sealed mode). I’ve been a nay-sayer when it comes to music in surround, but I am digging this format. Lastly movies sound great and the Emotiva implementation of front wides seems more enveloping than the Denons but maybe that is just me…

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That certainly helps. And I know I’ll be called out for placebo blah blah but even in Reference Stereo (not digitized in any way, no Dirac, 2CH large) mode playing through my Gustard DAC streamed music and CDs sound better than they did through the X4700 or A110. Also, “spacial” re:Atmos tracks via Apple Music sound incredible (Dirac and SVS subs in sealed mode). I’ve been a nay-sayer when it comes to music in surround, but I am digging this format. Lastly movies sound great and the Emotiva implementation of front wides seems more enveloping than the Denons but maybe that is just me…
Yeah probably placebo, I've used quite a variety of gear and that kind of sound quality difference I just don't find outside of particular dsp applications. Same for amps. YMMV. Did you do direct blind level matched tests between all these units too make it even slightly interesting beyond your subjective anecdotal info?

T

tparm

Audioholic
Yeah probably placebo, I've used quite a variety of gear and that kind of sound quality difference I just don't find outside of particular dsp applications. Same for amps. YMMV. Did you do direct blind level matched tests between all these units too make it even slightly interesting beyond your subjective anecdotal info?
No.

Kaiser

Kaiser

Audiophyte
My RMC-1 works very well and is the best sounding AVR/ processor I’ve owned (And I’ve had a few; Anthem 710, Arcam 850, NAD T758.3, AV7703, AVR-X4700, AVR-A110 and now RMC-1). I don‘t use ARC or CEC but I do keep it connected to my network via Ethernet for the app control which nearly eliminates all the sluggish input switching people talk about. Works very well with Harmony too. As mentioned, it is without a doubt the best sounding piece I have had on that slot in my rack.
Thanks for your response. Some of my concerns were the sluggish OSD and controls, Also, is the slow hdmi 2.1 adoption that may get an upgrade in the far future as I am a console gamer. I have a Denon x3700 with an Outlaw 5 channel amp with another 2 channel amp. I aonly use the amp in the receiver for the 4 height atmos speakers and I am looking to get a processor with 16 channels. The Emotiva is atleast somewhat affordable. Was thinking about a Denon x6700 with 13.1 channels for the extra wide channels. Wanted the best of both worlds with 2 extra height and thev2 wides.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Thanks for your response. Some of my concerns were the sluggish OSD and controls, Also, is the slow hdmi 2.1 adoption that may get an upgrade in the far future as I am a console gamer. I have a Denon x3700 with an Outlaw 5 channel amp with another 2 channel amp. I aonly use the amp in the receiver for the 4 height atmos speakers and I am looking to get a processor with 16 channels. The Emotiva is atleast somewhat affordable. Was thinking about a Denon x6700 with 13.1 channels for the extra wide channels. Wanted the best of both worlds with 2 extra height and thev2 wides.
I really like the Denon line and feel they are on their game when it comes to QC and being user friendly. I liked the custom speaker selection format in the A110, being able to “turn off” amps per channel versus all of nothing (except for 11.1 cheat) of pre-amp mode with the Denons. But, at least Denon has the ability to use it in 11.1 mode for cleaner LR channel signals. I understand the frustration with HDMI 2.1, I don’t game or have use for 2.1 in my system but that would give me pause with Emotiva if that was important to me.

I run a 7.1(w/ dual subs).4 using 5 bed channels plus wides and ceiling speakers. I like the wides, this is the first time I have had them in a system. The Dolby upmixer in the XMC/RMCs also works very well.

I have used Audyssey and Dirac extensively (along with REW and SVS sub PEQs). Personally the bass management in the Denons is superior to the Emotiva and Audyssey works fine if you spend time in post-calibration tweaks. Dirac (without DLBC) takes some upfront work to balance the subs (I use a y-adapter and gain level the subs, measure with REW and knock down the peaks with PEQs) but once I run Dirac I am usually done, not additional tweaks needed.

If you use the Emotiva remote the unit can get bogged down switching inputs and sound modes. The easy fix is the excellent remote (iOS) app and an iPad or a Harmony remote with some care in setting up soft buttons.

Anyway, this is just my experience But maybe you’ll find it helpful. Main thing is take time to enjoy your rig, easy to get caught up in tweeks and the updating game!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis