Can anyone chime in about VOOM

B

Britney meyers

Enthusiast
Everything sounds good so far, how do you like their service/ programming?

Britney

Bryguy

Bryguy

Audioholic
If I read Dish Networks press release correctly, they just puchased the satellite from the company that owns and operates Voom.

Bryguy

And my understanding is that they will terminate the service and use the satellite space for other Echostar needs... though this is speculation.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
hawke said:
And my understanding is that they will terminate the service and use the satellite space for other Echostar needs... though this is speculation.
This is not speculation, it happened this week. Echostar will take over the only sat that Voom owned and will use it to increase their own HD capacity. Voom is dead so don't even consider it. BTW, for you Echostar stock owners they got a killer deal on the sat and a few other assets which will improve their competiveness with DirecTV. :eek:

The speculation was the part about using the satellite to expand service. I don't think they committed to this yet, but it seems obvious and likely.

B

Britney meyers

Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies

So does this mean that Dishnetwork will be offering the same HD channels that Voom had?

Britney

Duffinator

Duffinator

Britney meyers said:
Thanks for the replies

So does this mean that Dishnetwork will be offering the same HD channels that Voom had?

Britney
Not necessarily. It means they will have greater bandwidth to broadcast additional HD channels and specifically local HD channels to their respective markets. That's the plan as I understand it. They've had the plan in place for a while, acquiring the additional sat will enable them to deploy the plan quicker. Which will hopefully get DirecTV off their rears! :eek:

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
That is definately good news for Dish subscribers (myself included). I hope they get it in gear Im ready for my locals in HD. It really sucks to see the start of whatever and see the note available in HD but not to me. Any idea when they might implement the additional programming?

Duffinator

Duffinator

howie85 said:
Any idea when they might implement the additional programming?
From what I've read in the Wall Street Journal they were planning on having a new sat available (not the one they just purchased) at the very end of 2005. I believe this coincides with their plan to start broadcasting their HD programing in MPEG4. There will be a gradual shift from the MPEG2 broadcast to MPEG4 which from my understanding will require new hardware if you have a DVR, but I'm not sure how that effects an HD receiver without DVR. Any guess on timing would be purely speculation on my part. The switch to MPEG4 is scheduled to start with DirecTV in early 2006. I've been trying to find out as much as I can on this because I'm going to buy an HD TiVo for DirecTV in the next couple of weeks. Maybe someone out there with more technical knowledge about this can clarify what will change with the hardware. Read this article on Audioholics for a bit more information:

http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CESmisc/DISHNetworkHDservice.php

howie85

howie85

Full Audioholic
Having recently seen the ads for how far Direct TV is planning on expanding their programming hopefully it will light a fire under dish to step up the progress :)

Duffinator

Duffinator

Duffinator said:
This is not speculation, it happened this week. Echostar will take over the only sat that Voom owned and will use it to increase their own HD capacity. Voom is dead so don't even consider it. BTW, for you Echostar stock owners they got a killer deal on the sat and a few other assets which will improve their competiveness with DirecTV. :eek:
Well I wasn't totally correct on this. As reported in the Wall Street Journal today Charles Dolan, Chairman of Cablevision Systems, and his son Tom are purchasing the remaining assets and plan on keeping Voom afloat. They are buying the remaining assets, 21 HD channels, customers and licenses, and will lease satellite space to continue the service. I guess that's good news for Voom customers. :confused: This was Dolan's baby and he is putting up his personal assets to continue the service.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis