Cambridge Soundworks P500 Repair

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That's why I recommended the RSL, it is about the most budget friendly sub there is these days. Used to be a lot of competition in the sub $500 range, but most have moved upmarket due to component cost. SVS and HSU are tried and true and you can't go wrong there.

The SVS PB1000 Pro is still near that range at around $800 (prices went up around mid year, maybe wait for a sale or check their outlet) and should handle a typical medium to large room. The sealed variant costs about $100 less and is smaller, but won't fill a bigger room quite as well.

The HSU VTF2 Mk5 is in that range too, but probably won't quite match the PB1000, though it would be a solid sub. For no question handling of even a large room, the VTF3 would be recommended, but it is about $300 more.

Monolith is making some good subs too, but they can occasionally be hard to find in stock also.

K

kpn

Enthusiast
which would you recommend: one PB-2000 Pro or two RSLs? been reading about dual subs, seems like a good idea. through the svs outlet, these would be about the same price. SVS is in stock, RSL is not, though.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
which would you recommend: one PB-2000 Pro or two RSLs? been reading about dual subs, seems like a good idea. through the svs outlet, these would be about the same price. SVS is in stock, RSL is not, though.
That’s a good question. How big is the space, and what volume levels? Imo, RSL represents a better value and duals are surely the way to go. If the room is bigger though, I think a pair from HSU wins the value prize. If you really wanna spend, fv18’s from Rythmik are awesome but they’re 2k each, shipped. If you are interested in diy, devastators are insane.

K

kpn

Enthusiast
That’s a good question. How big is the space, and what volume levels? Imo, RSL represents a better value and duals are surely the way to go. If the room is bigger though, I think a pair from HSU wins the value prize. If you really wanna spend, fv18’s from Rythmik are awesome but they’re 2k each, shipped. If you are interested in diy, devastators are insane.
Hard to say about size of space because it’s open floor plan with 14 ft cathedral ceilings. But we’re moving sometime in the near future also, no idea what new place will be like (though i’m fond of large century homes). I’m only a wannabe audiophile, so not sure how to answer question about volume levels. not opposed to diy, but time for that is extremely limited right now. know how long RSL takes to manufacture new batches of subs? Have a link for the devastators pls? Thanks for your help. Getting a feeling i’m gonna end up with a pretty nice home theater hanging around here much longer lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hard to say about size of space because it’s open floor plan with 14 ft cathedral ceilings. But we’re moving sometime in the near future also, no idea what new place will be like (though i’m fond of large century homes). I’m only a wannabe audiophile, so not sure how to answer question about volume levels. not opposed to diy, but time for that is extremely limited right now. know how long RSL takes to manufacture new batches of subs? Have a link for the devastators pls? Thanks for your help. Getting a feeling i’m gonna end up with a pretty nice home theater hanging around here much longer lol
Here ya go
Welcome to the rabbit hole, lol!!!
Can’t speak to RSL lead times as it’s probably different by the week. How soon are you moving? Definitely keep digging, but maybe wait until you know what the new place is like. That should help you spec the appropriate subwoofage.

K

kpn

Enthusiast
Here ya go
Welcome to the rabbit hole, lol!!!
Can’t speak to RSL lead times as it’s probably different by the week. How soon are you moving? Definitely keep digging, but maybe wait until you know what the new place is like. That should help you spec the appropriate subwoofage.
oh! I just watched a guy on YT assemble one of these last night! They look awesome. I clicked the link and there’s lots of info, but no info on pricing or to actually order them. Is that by design? Seems not right, maybe the mobile site has limited features?

oop, nvm just found it. Derp

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One of those will have more output than the RSLs, but won't have the room/mode smoothing capabilities of dual subs....but you could always add another later, and get an amp that can handle both (which would generally be more cost effective as well). They recommend an amp with dsp so as to apply a protective high pass filter (you can also use an external device such as a miniDSP). The Behringer amps they offer are probably the least expensive that are worth buying, the SpeakerPower ones more on the upper end.....perhaps something from Crown or QSC would also suffice.

K

kpn

Enthusiast
I'm tempted to go for the big boy, never had an 18" anything speaker. would be fun, and fun to build. but the cost of a decent amp is off-putting. and these are external amps only, correct? these don't go inside the cube, do they? any models you can recommend to get me started on right track? i'm fine with whatever brand, crown, qsc, whatever can get the job done well at a fair price point. i don't have a rack though. this is where i think two RSLs and be done with it :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have several diy 18s myself (but built my own sealed cabs) and use Crown XLS1500s (current equivalent is the 1502) and miniDSP (2x4) as these amps don't have onboard dsp and originally got them for mains duties, the diy subs came along later. They used to cost a fair amount less than they do currently, too, think I paid in the range of $300-330 each for mine. I do run two subs off each, too. I don't have a literal equipment rack, but rather stands with shelves that hold my avrs and other gear, too....or they can just go on the floor behind the sub. You could put a plate amp on the diy, too....not sure if GSG offers a custom cutout or if you have do your own, but I already had the amps before I built the subs, altho I did get a few more after I built the subs. The Crown XLS (Drive Core series, as there was another/different series years back from Crown also designated XLS) are very quiet amps even though they have fans, the Behringers are known to be a bit noisy so many mod the fans (altho in an equipment closet that wouldn't be an issue).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis