Cambridge Soundworks NewEnsemble III surround sound speaker hookup

A

AndyGregory

Audiophyte
I have a 5.1 Surround sound speaker system from Cambridge Soundworks. The manual says to connect the subwoofer cables to the surround speakers. It has two inputs on the back of the subwoofer. Connect one to the left and one to the right surround speaker. Then connect this to the terminals on the back of the amp. I have a Sony STR-DA2100ES AV Receiver/AMP. The amp has a separate connectiion for the subwoofer. The amp has a test tone you can send to test out the speakers. When I connect the sub the way the manual says, I get sound out of the sub when it says there should be sound out of the Rt and Lft surround speakers. Then no sound when it says sub. There is also no sound out of the Lf or RT surround speakers. I tried hooking it up (with what I thought was the correct way, sub dirrect to the sub out and surround to correct out) but there was no sound out of the surround speakers or sub, only the left and right front and center. The manual for the speakers was specific in that they had to be connected together. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of the manual.
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 11.33.52 AM.jpg

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
The manual says to connect the subwoofer cables to the surround speakers.
Well, that’s not exactly what it shows. Also, this page is marked “hook up alternatives“, is there another page of ways to hook the speakers up? If you do hook them up as it shows here then you need to run a set of wires from your left and right terminals on your receiver directly to the sub in either option. After that, it seems you have two options. You connect a second set of wires to the same terminals on the receiver and run them to the left and right speakers. Or option two is you connect the second set of speaker wires to the same terminals on the sub and then to the separate left and right speakers. Either way you’re going to have two sets of wires coming out of the same terminals it’s just whether this happens on your sub or on your receiver. Also, with the two sets of speaker wires come together are you twisting the bare ends together like it shows in a little picture on the righthand side of the manual?

A

AndyGregory

Audiophyte
I have a 5.1 Surround sound speaker system from Cambridge Soundworks. The manual says to connect the subwoofer cables to the surround speakers. It has two inputs on the back of the subwoofer. Connect one to the left and one to the right surround speaker. Then connect this to the terminals on the back of the amp. I have a Sony STR-DA2100ES AV Receiver/AMP. The amp has a separate connectiion for the subwoofer. The amp has a test tone you can send to test out the speakers. When I connect the sub the way the manual says, I get sound out of the sub when it says there should be sound out of the Rt and Lft surround speakers. Then no sound when it says sub. There is also no sound out of the Lf or RT surround speakers. I tried hooking it up (with what I thought was the correct way, sub dirrect to the sub out and surround to correct out) but there was no sound out of the surround speakers or sub, only the left and right front and center. The manual for the speakers was specific in that they had to be connected together. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of the manual. View attachment 27626
Here are the three alternatives that are listed in the manual.
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 11.33.52 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 12.09.45 PM.jpg

I have alt nunber 1. I have speaker wires direct from the sub to my amp, and direct wires from the surround speakers to my amp. thus that is why I choose alt 1. The way the manual reads these are the only three alternatives. Oh btw, its not a powered subwoofer.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a 5.1 Surround sound speaker system from Cambridge Soundworks. The manual says to connect the subwoofer cables to the surround speakers. It has two inputs on the back of the subwoofer. Connect one to the left and one to the right surround speaker. Then connect this to the terminals on the back of the amp. I have a Sony STR-DA2100ES AV Receiver/AMP. The amp has a separate connectiion for the subwoofer. The amp has a test tone you can send to test out the speakers. When I connect the sub the way the manual says, I get sound out of the sub when it says there should be sound out of the Rt and Lft surround speakers. Then no sound when it says sub. There is also no sound out of the Lf or RT surround speakers. I tried hooking it up (with what I thought was the correct way, sub dirrect to the sub out and surround to correct out) but there was no sound out of the surround speakers or sub, only the left and right front and center. The manual for the speakers was specific in that they had to be connected together. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of the manual. View attachment 27626
The Cambridge SoundsWork New Ensemble III is a 2.1 system, not 5.1 as show in the manual you posted. So you should follow the instructions shown in the diagram, either alternative 1 or 2, your choice. Either way, you will not be using the Sony DA2100ES sub out at all. Just use the speaker terminals for the front left and right speakers. In the Sony speaker set up manual, select no/none for subwoofer and set the front left/right speakers to "Large".

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have speaker wires direct from the sub to my amp, and direct wires from the surround speakers to my amp.
What amp? I thought you have a Sony AVR, is that the amp you referred to? I so, how did you connect the sub to the Sony, to which terminals?

Again, it is a 2.1 speaker system, not 5.1 so the satellite speakers are for the front left and front right channels, not surround channels. If you connect them to the surround channel output of the Sony, you are not going to get sound unless you play the tone to the surround channels.

If you have better speakers for the front left and right then I can understand why you would want to use the Cambridge SoundsWork for the surround channels. In that case, you would use the same diagram, pick one of the 3 options and connect the satellites and the subwoofer to the Sony's surround channel speaker terminals. If you also have a better subwoofer then that subwoofer (if powered) should be connected to the Sony's subwoofer out RCA jack and you can then set the surround channel speakers to "Small".

Last edited:
sadmar

sadmar

Audiophyte
To hopefully clear ip the confusion here:

The Ensemble iii system is designed for use with a STEREO amp. It's one of Henry Kloss's takes on the concept of the original Bose Acoustimass: greatly reducing the size of the left and right speakers by not asking them to output any bass, shuffling that instead to a dual channel passive woofer that can be placed on the floor. Which works because bass is non directional. This was meant to appeal especially to apartment dwellers with limited shelf/wall space who prefer not to devote the amount of that a typical pair of bookshelf speakers would occupy.

IOW this design precedes the spread of surround sound for home theater. So the premise here is the amp has only two full-range channels, and the speakers are essentially three-ways, just with the woofers housed together in a single cabinet, and the mids/tweets in the separate small cabinets. Strictly speaking, the bass unit isn't a "subwoofer", but Bose labelled it as such, I guess because that sounded 'sexier' or something. But that basic concept of segregating the bass and combining it in a single box obviously became the mode of surround sound systems so the term "subwoofer" stuck. The lingo in the Ensemble manual is confusing now, because by "satellite" it just means the main left/right speakers, not surround speakers.

Mixing components of a system like the Acoustimass or Ensemble with other speakers presents an issue in that the bass unit and main L/R speakers are matched to create a smooth crossover between them. E.G. if you use that Ensemble bass box with different L/R speakers you might get either a hole or a bump in the frequency response curve... which you could address with a graphic or parametric equalizer but might be a problem otherwise.

A surround sound system is a completely different beast because it has a very different kind of amplifier, either 6 (5.1) or 8 (7.1) separate channels of output, with electronics in the production chain performing the crossover separation between bass and mids/tweets.

How you would use a two-channel passive sub like the one from the Ensemble iii with a surround sound receiver depends on how the amp handles bass signals.

A typical home-theater-in-box system e.g. from Panasonic comes with a passive sub fed by a separate power-amp channel from the receiver. In this case you would wire that output to BOTH sets of terminals on the sub. You're probably stuck with the crossover point default in the unit, as the receiver won't have a flexible EQ function. Depending on your L/R speakers it could sound still sound OK.

A typical individual HiFi home theater receiver designed to work with a variety of speakers typically presumed a powered subwoofer. That is, there's no built-in power amp output for a sub, just a line level out. The question then is whether the receiver has a setting to be used w/o a sub. (E.g. my old Sony STR DB840 does). If so, turning the sub OFF sends the lows from the surround sub channel to the L/R outputs. In this case, you wire the Ensemble bass box as shown in the manual: in parallel to the L/R speakers. Then you'd set those channels to LARGE for full range speakers, and adjust EQ to taste.

If your amp doesn't have a 'no sub' option, the lowest frequencies will only be going to that 'subwoofer' line level output, and the only way to use the passive bass box would be to turn it into an effective powered unit by driving it with a separate amp (integrated or just power amp) with the sub output Y-ed to both inputs fir a stereo amp, and the pair of amp outputs wired to the two terminal sets on the sub.

I'll guess such a setup only makes sense for folks on a budget who get the passive bass box super cheap, and already have a compatible receiver or an extra amp in the closet. FWIW, I landed here looking for more info on the Ensemble iii bass box I found at the Salvation Army, and intend to use with a Panasonic head unit from an HT-in-a-box system. I don't have all the parts yet but when I get it together I'll come back and report how it works.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis